Naturalization, Citizenship im confused on what i am

Status
Not open for further replies.

karebear

my story is kind of complicated. I was born in Canada, my mom is Canadian and my dad is a US citizen. I lived in Canada for like 3 months then we moved back to the states. I have went to school in the US all my life and have a social security card for the US also. but yet im still being told im not a US citizen. Would i have dua citizenship or something since i have lived in the US over 18 years almost 19 years, and went to school here and my dad is a US citizen. he was also in the vientam war. my mom had my older brother in the US but me in Canada. what am i?? Can someone help me please.

What were your parents doing in Canada? Had they moved here intending to live here permanently when you were born? If so, and assuming you were born after 1977, you probably acquired Canadian citizenship at birth and are still a Canadian citizen.

You might also be a US citizen - I don't know enough about that to make an educated guess. Who is telling you you're not a US citizen?

my moms parents live there and she was visting them for a little bit and they was coming back to the states to live but she just didnt make it. and i was born. and i went to go get help by job and family services and they told me they couldnt because i was not US citizen.

Yeah, sounds like you're a Canadian citizen. Having a birth certificate issued by a Canadian province is enough.

Wikipedia tells me someone may be a US citizen if they were born after 1986 and all of the following are true:

1. One of the person's parents was a U.S. citizen when the person in question was born
2. The citizen parent lived at least five years in the United States before the child's birth
3. A minimum of two of these five years in the United States were after the citizen parent's 14th birthday.

If you think that applies to you, you should talk to a US immigration lawyer.

At 18 you have the option to go to a magistrate in the US and take a US citizenship oath. You probably can still do it. Contact an immigration lawyer to do so.

but all of it is true my dad lived in the states all his life he was born here. and my mom has been living here for like 20 years herself. i dont know how to get a hold of an immigration lawyer

i dont have enough money for a lawyer yet thats the sad part. and now im pregnant and due in march and scared that im going to be sent away and away from my kid

yeah but i dont want my child to be seperated from the dad and i dont want to be seperated from him either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back