I'm being threatened with Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

drez

Hello, this is my first time on the boards so please bear with me.

I'm a college student at Eastern Illinois University(eiu.edu) and recently a professor has threatened me with legal action on the basis of harassment.

I wrote an email to him using my yahoo.com account about 3 months ago stating that he's a music teacher and not a professional writing teacher and shouldn't be teaching Resumes and how to write them when it contradicts the school's professional writing curriculum and how to write them.

Basically, in one email I sent him I said he shouldn't teach how to write resumes against ___(then i wrote in the book that we were being taught from I dont remember).

Now, I know this was a stupid thing to do but I went out drinking with the buddies that night and we started getting rilled up about teachers and he just got to me. So, in my drunkenness I wrote the email.

I forgot about the email and now I am just recently hearing about legal action. Does he have a basis? I thought it was no big deal since it was one email to another (not public) and it was just one time (while under the influence), but it's kinda getting me scared.

If you need anything else, please ask. I am trying to get a copy of the email from him but it's taking some time. I know I didn't threaten physically at all.

I thought I added the jurisdiction but it seems to have not added correctly.

I am in Charleston, IL Coles County.

I have a copy of the letter finally.

I think he's just trying to use intimidation because some of the students are currently trying to take him to judicial affairs.

"SUBJECT: Please stop teaching resumes

BODY:
"If you do not how to write a correct resume, then please do not teach your students how to write a resume. You are not a professional writing teacher and are currently teaching against the Professional Writing program offered at Eastern. I advise you to stick to what you know.

Block left is awlays used. References are never written out in entirety.

A reference section should be at the bottom of the resume and it is highly suggested in both the EIU curriculum and the current business world to not include the references, but merely that they are available upon request.

If you are having trouble understanding how to write a resume, then may I refer you to Technical Communication 7th Edition by Mike Markel. This book is currently in the EIU curriculum and includes the most cguidlines to resume writing offered at Eastern.

Thank you.

And P.S.

Stop being a douche bag."

That is what is written verbatim, typos and all.

While I doubt that he can take any legal action against you, you should be scared. You were unbelieveably rude and for your information, there is not only one correct format to write a resume. (In case you're interested, I read resumes for a living.) If I were in his shoes, I wouldn't be looking to take legal action against you but I would damn well be looking to see if I could get you kicked out of school

Grow up and act like an adult. The fact that you were drunk does NOT excuse your unbelievably rude behavior.

There's more to it then the resume (the douchebag part), but I'm not here to explain it or to get a 'preaching'.

Thanks for the help.

Doesn't matter how much more to it there was; your behavior was still inexcusable. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back