Medical Malpractice I'm addicted to pain meds. I made bad choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a law suit if a dr injuries you and you become addicted to pain meds you was perfectly healthly till the surgery

No, you don't have a valid case that will hold water, or carry wood.

You chose to become an addict.

Now, off you go to rehab.

Heck, for all the court could determine, you may have been an addict BEFORE the alleged surgery.

Unfortunately AJ, we've come to a point in our society where some unlucky doctors (you know...the people who are actually trying to help you) end up settling out of court because it seems like the court will find him irresponsible for prescribing narcotics to a known abuser.

Unfortunately AJ, we've come to a point in our society where some unlucky doctors (you know...the people who are actually trying to help you) end up settling out of court because it seems like the court will find him irresponsible for prescribing narcotics to a known abuser.

Pro, that's rarer than one might imagine.

Not to say, dear lady, it doesn't happen; because it dadgum surely does.

Yes, some docs do settle (along with their malpractice insurer) just to make the fleas, ticks, and lice disappear.

Settling for $5,000, $10,000, or some such small amount is cheaper than paying legal counsel to defend these cases.

And, you know who ultimately pays the major portion of the tab, don't you? LOL

Most of these addicts end up dead or in prison anyway.

I say it every day, up is down, black is white, hot is cold, day is night, wrong is right; simply because their is no shame.

Anything and everything goes.

The fact is becoming addicted is usually the patients fault. They won't inform the doctor they have a problem and allow it to be fixed. They won't exercise control in taking their meds.

I'd go as far as "always the patient's fault", with one or two possible exceptions.

Patients and the providers though also need to know the difference between dependence and addiction.

I know my life is less disagreeable after a few radiotherapy ablations and pain meds. For decades, I would not take them because I was working. I had to take sleeping pills to get to sleep through the wall of pain. Now that I can't work at least my multiple disabilities are somewhat in balance and it does not bother me so much that I can't really do anything now. I keep debating whether to buy a mobility scooter and go to the park or something but it seems like to much work.

It generally is always the patients fault that they get addicted. However, more & more doctors are prescribing addictive pain meds than in the past for better pain control. Also, some people can become addicted on the same amt. of meds that someone else doesn't. The patient & dr. needs to work together & communicate.......

disagreeable, you should rent a scooter & see how it goes - you might enjoy the freedom of getting out more than you realize. Of course, I don't know you or your disabilities........

I use them on my rare shopping excursions. I also rented one to go to the county fair with my wife for a few hours. They certainly make getting around easier. I guess it is easier to not leave. When I go out, I inadvertently always start planning things I would like to do. My wife gets frustrated when she must intervene to remind me I cannot do those things anymore.

I know my life is less disagreeable after a few radiotherapy ablations and pain meds. For decades, I would not take them because I was working. I had to take sleeping pills to get to sleep through the wall of pain. Now that I can't work at least my multiple disabilities are somewhat in balance and it does not bother me so much that I can't really do anything now. I keep debating whether to buy a mobility scooter and go to the park or something but it seems like to much work.

Dis, can I just say one thing?

I'm genuinely incredibly sorry that you have to go through chronic pain. Whether we see eye to eye on other things or not, my heart goes out to you.

I wish you as comfortable and happy a Christmas as possible. And don't go making snow-wheelies with that scooter! :)

My heart goes out to you also hon. I know your life has not been a cake walk either.

I wish you and yours a Merry Christmas also.

Dis, can I just say one thing?

I'm genuinely incredibly sorry that you have to go through chronic pain. Whether we see eye to eye on other things or not, my heart goes out to you.

I wish you as comfortable and happy a Christmas as possible. And don't go making snow-wheelies with that scooter! :)

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to the both of you.

disagreeable, I wish the very best for you re your pain/disabilities. Take care. Betty3

Thx Betty. Merry Christmas to you and yours. I did not intend for this thread to become my sob story, LOL. I am still in a holding pattern. I have one teen to see through college before I run out of reasons to keep going, so I am good for about another 6 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back