Illinois - Ex Roommate Sueing for Rent due, please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeyhp

Here is the situation:

I moved in with a friend of mine in march of 2005 and due to extreme situation I needed to move out of the place in June of 2005. The only document I signed with him was the lease with regard to the landlord.

Then on friday I received this email:

I just wanted to drop you a line one last time here and let you know that I am still looking for the money that you owe me. As you may or may not know, I have recently started a small production company this past year and as a result of that had have a bit of access to counsel. We've talked about our case here, and it looks like there's enough to move forward at least into a small claims court arena. The magic number that I'm looking for is $1500. Which is $500 over three months. While you were only in residence for two and a half of those months, you still did not provide me with enough time to find and secure a roommate. Even though after you left it was two more months before I could find someone to move in, I'm still only looking for the $1500. And this without interest. You can send a check to the following address:

If I receive payment by January 1, 2011 then I will consider the matter closed. However, if not, I will be looking to move forward in the early part of the year making a small-claims complaint. At this time I will be attempting to retrieve all five months ($2500) with interest at the current APR (aprox 4.25%) and court and lawyer fees. In the interests of full discloser, and in regard to whatever friendship we once had, I do want to tell you this seems about 60% for me. It was quite a bit ago, but I do have the lease as well as back records and emails, so I have a case, but it could be stronger. So it is not a done deal. You can (and I imagine will) continue to play the coward in this regard and fail to make good on your debts as well as failing to speak to them. While I would like to think you are the sort of person to write the check, I know that is not true. Nor do I think that you're likely to be willing to engage in any sort of dialogue about this either. So those things said sometime in the new year you will be served, most likely at your place of business, and then be required to spend (chances are just one) day in court, most likely in Chicago.

I am sorry that it has come to this, but I am not sure what else to do. It is a matter that I desire to be closed so that I can move on past it. I hope to hear from you soon.

Based upon my research the statue of limitations is 5 years, so if he does go though on his threat I can ask that the case be dismissed due to it being time-barred. The written agreement between us and the landlord wouldn't apply in this situation because it was between us and the landlord, not between the both of us. (Does that make sense?).

Please let me know if I am correct in my assumptions,

Thank you.

Here is the situation:

I moved in with a friend of mine in march of 2005 and due to extreme situation I needed to move out of the place in June of 2005. The only document I signed with him was the lease with regard to the landlord.

Then on friday I received this email:

I just wanted to drop you a line one last time here and let you know that I am still looking for the money that you owe me. As you may or may not know, I have recently started a small production company this past year and as a result of that had have a bit of access to counsel. We've talked about our case here, and it looks like there's enough to move forward at least into a small claims court arena. The magic number that I'm looking for is $1500. Which is $500 over three months. While you were only in residence for two and a half of those months, you still did not provide me with enough time to find and secure a roommate. Even though after you left it was two more months before I could find someone to move in, I'm still only looking for the $1500. And this without interest. You can send a check to the following address:

If I receive payment by January 1, 2011 then I will consider the matter closed. However, if not, I will be looking to move forward in the early part of the year making a small-claims complaint. At this time I will be attempting to retrieve all five months ($2500) with interest at the current APR (aprox 4.25%) and court and lawyer fees. In the interests of full discloser, and in regard to whatever friendship we once had, I do want to tell you this seems about 60% for me. It was quite a bit ago, but I do have the lease as well as back records and emails, so I have a case, but it could be stronger. So it is not a done deal. You can (and I imagine will) continue to play the coward in this regard and fail to make good on your debts as well as failing to speak to them. While I would like to think you are the sort of person to write the check, I know that is not true. Nor do I think that you're likely to be willing to engage in any sort of dialogue about this either. So those things said sometime in the new year you will be served, most likely at your place of business, and then be required to spend (chances are just one) day in court, most likely in Chicago.

I am sorry that it has come to this, but I am not sure what else to do. It is a matter that I desire to be closed so that I can move on past it. I hope to hear from you soon.

Based upon my research the statue of limitations is 5 years, so if he does go though on his threat I can ask that the case be dismissed due to it being time-barred. The written agreement between us and the landlord wouldn't apply in this situation because it was between us and the landlord, not between the both of us. (Does that make sense?).

Please let me know if I am correct in my assumptions,

Thank you.

Her email to you means nothing, she must notify you of the impending civil suit via an official court summons and complaint. If the statute of limitations have not run out then you would have been responsable for the rent. Once the limitations have ran out then shes SOL.

Her email to you means nothing, she must notify you of the impending civil suit via an official court summons and complaint. If the statute of limitations have not run out then you would have been responsable for the rent. Once the limitations have ran out then shes SOL.
Unless you plan on paying her the money then ignore the emails. You could contact a local attorney to explain you particular situation. Good luck.

The question is I guess, is the staute of limitation on the lease with the landlord (she was not the landlord) or is it a verbal agreement to have rent split between 2 people?

The question is I guess, is the staute of limitation on the lease with the landlord (she was not the landlord) or is it a verbal agreement to have rent split between 2 people?

It would appear that your ex-roomie is basing his/her claim on an alleged oral contract.

If that is the case, IL has a five year SOL on such "contracts".

If you even had such a "contract".

Anyway, I suspect the ship has sailed months ago due to Illinois' five year SOL for oral contracts!

A five-year SOL applies to fraud by concealment, injury to personal property, oral contracts and all other actions not specifically mentioned elsewhere.

Read more: Illinois Statute of Limitations on Civil Cases | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_7300277_illinois-statute-limitations-civil-cases.html

Would the joint lease agreement we had signed (I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear before) over ride the verbal agreement and make me libaly for rent that was not paid?

No matter which way you look at it, the statue of limitations has already passed. If there was a debt owed, he can no longer obtain a judgment order for you to pay. You are in the clear.
If you should be summoned to court simply advise the court of the date and argue that the statute of limitations has expired. The case will quickly be dismissed.
The email you received is nothing but an empty threat. Some people will pay a lesser amount to avoid the hassle of court. In this case, stand firm, pay nothing, and your ex-roomie will look like a fool.

Her attorney that she has been speaking to (if there is one) should clue her in on the SOL. Her attorney may have already done this and she is just trying to get a little money out of you hoping you will pay and not realize the SOL has ran out. So ignore the threats and your in the clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back