Illegal to pick up packages not in your name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grubby6913

I recently learned that someone has opened up a credit card in my name after a shop owner called to confirm an order i didnt make with a credit card i dont own but is in my name. The package was shipped but held at the post office in sardis, ms. A man went to the post office to try to pick up the package (that was shipped to my name but a different address) and they got his name and info and the police picked him up after my local police contacted the sardis, ms police. His story is that he was hired by a company from the UK on careerbuilders.com to pick up packages and send them some where else for $3000/mo. The police released him almost immediately as they just figured he was suckered. My thought is that you would have to be a complete idiot to not know something fishy was going on. Also, when the post office told him he couldnt have the package he said he was going to call me and tell me about it, I've never met this man in my life. Also, the IP address that the order was made from is located in mississippi not far from where the shipping address was. My question is that since im pretty sure he knows at the very least he was doing something wrong (probably was in on it in my opinion) could i do anything about this? More specifically, is it illegal to tamper with mail, or pick up mail from the post office, that is in my name (the online store owner said it was shipped to my name, but his address). Also, how hard would it be to subpoena the ISP who owns the IP address to find out who was using the IP when the order was made? Thanks for your time...
Daniel

You are best served to stay the hell out if this, if you know what is good for you. Let the police do their job.

The man's release could be a ruse the police are using to track down the rest of the gang.

If you're smart, stay out of this. You have no idea who these people are, or what they're into!!!

If you're not careful, your body temperature could fall from 98.6 to room temperature. Be careful!!!

The police are in a hick town and have no clue about id theft. They have told the man to stop and haven't spoken to him since. I do understand what you are saying, however right now there is a credit card open in my name and this man is the only one with the information i need to track down the card info so i can save myself from tons of debt that I can't prove i didn't create. The operation is based out of Russia btw.. i dont see them reaching that far no matter how long the mighty arm of the sardis, ms police reaches. Im gonna press charges since the police arent investigating anything apparently..

I'd like to answer the question posed in the thread's title:

Yes, that can be legal.

Heck, I pick up stuff for my two kids all the time. They're adults, they haven't bothered to change their addresses with the post office and yeah - they still get stuff delivered to our address.

The postmaster hq in ga i called, said it was illegal. He is tampering with my mail since it is addressed to my name. He was knowingly intercepting my mail and shipped elsewhere. I have to press charges cause if the credit company sees i knew who was accepting stolen goods and didn't have him arrested it would look really bad during the dispute for the charges. Im contacting the fbi for more info to more on possible instructions on how to proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back