Illegal newspaper distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jurisdiction
Michigan
In our city, located in southeast Michigan, we have a local news organization. It has an online presence, a daily printed subscription-based newspaper available for delivery, and a weekly free issue that is distributed to all households in the city via newspaper delivery people (not USPS).

My question is in regards to the free issue. It is, in my opinion, a glorified flyer with one or two news articles and pages of paid advertising.

I and many other residences of our city do not want the free issue. We don't read it and we're tired of picking it up from our driveways. Calls to the news organization to request that the delivery be discontinued are either ignored or temporarily ignored before the paper shows up again. This has been going on for years.

Here's the thing, the distribution of this free paper is in direct violation of the city's municipal codes. Emails to our city council members are either ignored or they say they're stumped as to how to make the delivery stop. Messages to the City Attorney office are also ignored. No one denies that this is a violation.

Here's the question, what can we do next to make our voices heard? Thanks.

The regulations are likely not being enforced is because there have been cases of cities being sued for 1st amendment violations when enforcing such laws.

There isn't really much you can do. Don't worry it is a newspaper it will likely go away soon all by itself.

Have you considered organizing your neighbors, hiring a lawyer as a concerned citizens group, instruct the lawyer to write a letter to the local prosecutor, newspaper, city council; demanding the paper STOP littering your property with their garbage, asking the prosecutor to enforce local ordinances against littering and trespassing, and asking for the opportunity to speak before the city council meeting?

Once you organize and engage a lawyer, your group won't be ignored.

It is easy to ignore one person, harder & riskier to ignore a dozen people, 30 people, or an entire neighborhood of people.

Your group should also request a meeting with the mayor and your council person.

We're only one free newspaper away from forming an angry mob with torches & pitchforks. So I think it'll be easy to organize a concerned citizens group.

Great suggestion. Thanks.

we're tired of picking it up from our driveways.

Oh my, I am so sorry for the incredible tragedy that has befallen you and your neighbors - having to dispose of a throwaway news flyer once a week. I'm sure that there are support groups and charitable organizations that can help you with counseling through these terrible times.

In case you don't recognize sarcasm, what I'm really saying is "Get off your high horse and stop making a federal case out of nothing."

smh

In case you don't recognize sarcasm, what I'm really saying is "Get off your high horse and stop making a federal case out of nothing."

smh

So I and my neighbors should just accept little bits of "nothing" from companies and city governments? That's the beauty of our country. I have the right to complain about violations. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

Sometimes people agree with me and sometimes they don't. What I don't understand is why you would try to shame me when you have no skin in the game. Did you not meet your daily quota of dogs to kick and decided to take it out on me?

Go find some other question on this forum that meets your standard of worthiness and just keep scrolling if it doesn't.

So I and my neighbors should just accept little bits of "nothing" from companies and city governments? That's the beauty of our country. I have the right to complain about violations. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

Sometimes people agree with me and sometimes they don't. What I don't understand is why you would try to shame me when you have no skin in the game. Did you not meet your daily quota of dogs to kick and decided to take it out on me?

Go find some other question on this forum that meets your standard of worthiness and just keep scrolling if it doesn't.
Seriously? :rolleyes:

All that is going on in this country and you want to make a law suit out of a weekly unwanted paper? Geesh.

Here is an idea...Get a parakeet and use the paper to line the cage. :cool:

What I don't understand is why you would try to shame me when you have no skin in the game

Of course I have skin in the game. Once a week I find one of those throwaways near my mail box when I go get my mail. I pick it up and toss it in the trash on my way back to the house and I don't give it another thought because it is insignificant and I have much better and more important things to do with my life then whine about the insignificant.

This is not a violation, it's a triviality. Since you attach so much importance to it that you have to rally the neighbors with torches and pitchforks, I am truly sorry for you.

^^^^What the Moose said. If this is the biggest problem you've got, may I recommend that you get yourself a life?

The bags those papers come in are great for cleaning up after the dogs. If I'm lucky enough that it rains the day it's delivered? A TWO BAG day!

The idea is to fluff the newspaper's distribution numbers so they can charge more for their advertising space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back