Illegal deductions from paycheck

Status
Not open for further replies.

holz46

Hi everyone... I am currently a server at a restaurant that is privately owned and I think that there are a few things going on with my pay check that I need some advice on. Over the last few weeks, my boss decided to take away a key from the servers that allowed us to do voids as well as other things like employee discounts. Since we no longer have the key, we are stuck paying out of our own pocket for things like kitchen mess ups or when upset guests do not want to pay for their food. Along with all of the other servers, we decided that this was unfair and that we should not be penalized for something that was not our fault. We were then told to keep our unpaid checks open at the end of our shift and to leave the remaining money out of our cash out at the end of the night.

When I picked up my pay check on Wednesday, there was a signed paper attached to it stating that the boss had taken out money for a meal that one of my tables didn't pay for because of a very big mess up from the kitchen, and also for a check that was never closed because someone never came to pick up their to-go order. My actual pay check was nearly 50 dollars shorter than it should have been because of these two checks and I was wondering if it is actually legal for the boss to deduct money from my actual pay check for something like this. Along with these deductions, I was also wondering about taxes on our pay stubs. Our pay checks are very hard to understand since they do not spell out exactly what amount of money is being taken out for things like social security and medicare, but instead are a piece of paper that does not tell us where exactly our deducted money is going. I really hate to complain, but I feel as though I should not be getting money deducted for this and was wondering if anyone had any advice and whether or not my boss is legally allowed to do this. Any advice would help, thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back