Ignorance of the law does not excuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

john39

Ignorantia juris non excusat is the principle in jurisprudence that one is bound by a law even if one does not know of it. That is in effect prohibition to be ignorant of the law.:no:

We are all presumed to have knowledge of the law.:yes:

The doctrine assumes that the laws have been properly published and distributed.It also assumes it is governmental interest that citizens know and obey the laws.

I wondered why it is not taught in the schools.Child education is compulsory.:confused:

Why not provide children approaching maturity with knowledge of that which is demanded from them to know?

I tried to find articles on this question on the web,and I couldn't.

Is there legal obstacle for governments to impose compulsory law education?

If yes,is there legal obstacle for governments to at least offer that as an option?

Last edited:
Au contraire, mon ami, that premise is taught.

Unfortunately, today's youth are too self absorbed to learn much of anything that doesn't involve illicit sex acts, illegal drugs, violence, perversion, or any of a million other, useless, negative, nonproductive behaviors.

We live in a free society. The American government has very little control over the people or it's borders. Government's overreaching purpose today is to confiscate wealth and enrich the elected, elite class. We'd all be better off, if we had royalty to reign over us. Kings rarely did to their subjects what the elected elite do their electors daily!!!

Greetings wise judge :)

I didn't know that the premise is taught.But even if it was,it is very short lesson.

I was wondering why not teach a deeper understanding of the nature of law, of legal reasoning, legal systems and of legal institutions....things such as principles of the natural law, civil law,criminal law ,etc

Unfortunately, today's youth are too self absorbed to learn much of anything that doesn't involve illicit sex acts, illegal drugs, violence, perversion, or any of a million other, useless, negative, nonproductive behaviors.

Children are, tabula rasa, clean slate.Why not give them favorable opportunity,for free,to study and learn those things?I know we live in a free society:) ,but ,compulsory study subject fields exist,in that free society already

I couldn't find any article on it.

But,you already answered why you think that is the case :) ,so my question now just remains rhetorical ..

Last edited:
Federal, state, and local governments mandate all manner of things to be taught or presented at school. In fact, there are more required minutes of instruction at my local schools then there are actual teaching minutes available! The mandates have become quite ridiculous and cumbersome, to say the least.

Basic concepts of law are taught to some degree through the education process. Not directly as law, per se, but indirectly through concepts, lessons on civics, and the like. Do the kids pay attention? Not often. As Army Judge points out, today's youth are a tad more narcissistic than they ought to be. But, I suspect that our parents felt the same way about us when WE were kids. So, the cycle just keeps on going.

I remember we had at least a couple lessons on law basics including 'ignorance of the law is no defense' in high school.

I wonder what % of law breakers actually did not know they were breaking the law? I would bet it is very low. Most know when they should or should not do something,...they just choose the wrong one.

I read someone wrote that In Fairbanks, Alaska, it's illegal to serve liquor to a moose. By contrast, in Ohio it's legal to serve booze to a fish, but not if you get it drunk.

:)

We live in a free society. The American government has very little control over the people or it's borders. Government's overreaching purpose today is to confiscate wealth and enrich the elected, elite class. We'd all be better off, if we had royalty to reign over us. Kings rarely did to their subjects what the elected elite do their electors daily!!!

Laying it on the line, I like that, no skirting the truth, it is what it is.

And I agree, youth today are mainly interested in anything that results in their receiving some benefit or other to which they are not entitled and to finding ways of acquiring "stuff" they haven't earned.

GIVE ME should be their nom de plume :eek:

he he he ...the truth?

and,why they are like that?

he he he ...the truth?

and,why they are like that?

Yo John, not sure you're meaning exactly as to why they are like that? Not sure who "they" are. But the truth is liquid, it can slip through your fingers in an instant. To try to grasp the truth is a serious undertaking not meant for the faint of heart, lol!

Then there is that other sticky substance "logic".

Logic seems to be in very short supply currently and no place is that more obvious than in the courtroom, the bastion of what passes as "justice".

One way of dealing with life as it is, despite what it is

IRREVERANCE

Long may it wave!
:p

I meant what is the reason that they,the youth,you refer to,are thinking the way you allege they think.What is the cause,for such consequence,is what I meant,and asked.

The "truth" and 'logic" must be real,if you want to make argument or assertion.You made assertion,that "youth today are mainly interested in anything that results in their receiving some benefit or other to which they are not entitled and to finding ways of acquiring "stuff" they haven't earned."

you cemented that with another statement of yours "Laying it on the line, I like that, no skirting the truth, it is what it is."

How can you say that and in the same time say truth is "liquid'?

I meant what is the reason that they,the youth,you refer to,are thinking the way you allege they think.What is the cause,for such consequence,is what I meant,and asked.

The "truth" and 'logic" must be real,if you want to make argument or assertion.You made assertion,that "youth today are mainly interested in anything that results in their receiving some benefit or other to which they are not entitled and to finding ways of acquiring "stuff" they haven't earned."

you cemented that with another statement of yours "Laying it on the line, I like that, no skirting the truth, it is what it is."

The truth is liquid in that it can be articulated into any shape you desire. It has no straight lines. With the proper equipment you can even make it flow uphill. It's malleable, you can make it suit your purpose. If it doesn't fit, you just work with it until it does, that's easy.

As to why children are what they are, because we allow them to be.

They live without the concept of consequence, i.e. action - reaction. Does not compute. Without consequences there is no learning. Why bother with tiresome learning when you can just have fun!

Silly boy, what did I tell you about LOGIC???

Have you forgotten so soon?

Logic is the least-believable commodity we have.:blush

"Everything is determined, the beginning as well as the end, by forces over which we have no control. It is determined for the insect as well as the star. Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible piper." - Albert Einstein

Nothing lives without the concept of consequence.

I have read the whole System of Nature,by baron d'Holbach ....loooooooooooong time ago.

Good nite to you Girl,i will leave now

"Everything is determined, the beginning as well as the end, by forces over which we have no control. It is determined for the insect as well as the star. Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible piper." - Albert Einstein

Nothing lives without the concept of consequence.

I have read the whole System of Nature,by baron d'Holbach ....loooooooooooong time ago.

Good nite to you Girl,i will leave now

I believe I should have stated "the illusion" of existing without consequence.

I have not read the whole System of Nature by baron d'Holbach, ever!

Well, parting is such sweet sorrow and all that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back