If you use incandescent lights that are very hot or use to much free power?

spiderman1234

Jurisdiction
Manitoba
If you use incandescent lights that are very hot or use to much free power could you be warned and eventually evicted. I like to use 5 300 watt bulbs but they are very hot and if they fall on the carpet they could start a fire I could install maybe tilt switches but still a risk. I get electricity for free but what if I use 1500 watts for 10 hours everyday. Could I be warned and evicted?

If you use incandescent lights that are very hot or use to much free power could you be warned and eventually evicted.

Could you be warned? Of course. Just about anything can happen.
Could you be evicted for the reason mentioned? Depends on the laws of Manitoba and the terms of your lease. These boards deal almost exclusively with issues of U.S. law.

I like to use 5 300 watt bulbs

For what purpose? Growing marijuana?

what if I use 1500 watts for 10 hours everyday.

Then you'll be using 15 kwH of electricity per day (and approximately 456 kwH per month) solely on these bulbs.

Could I be warned and evicted?

This is the same question you've already asked, but I'll add that it would hardly be surprising for a landlord to conclude that a tenant using that much electricity is growing marijuana and not want to keep that tenant. If I were to assume things in Manitoba work as they do in the U.S., then one question I'd ask would be if you have a long term lease or are a month-to-month tenant. If you're a month-to-month tenant, then you can be evicted without cause simply by the landlord giving proper notice.

I'm not in any position to speak intelligently about your landlord's concerns. If you're concerned, discuss it with your landlord and maybe offer to pay for some of the electric bill.

You first said incandescent lights then refer us to an article on LED's - well that makes sense.

As you were told, your question should be addressed to your landlord. It's not a legal issue and even if it was we don't deal with Canadian law here, eh?

If you use incandescent lights that are very hot or use to much free power could you be warned and eventually evicted. I like to use 5 300 watt bulbs but they are very hot and if they fall on the carpet they could start a fire I could install maybe tilt switches but still a risk. I get electricity for free but what if I use 1500 watts for 10 hours everyday. Could I be warned and evicted?

You're in Canada.

I doubt that anyone of our posters know anything about Canadian landlord-tenant laws.

Why not ask YOUR landlord ALL of your questions?

That way, you're talking to the big dog's mouth, not the little dog's arse.

Back