Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant If warrant out for ex husband..will they pick him up in another state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hevnboun

I have a car in my name that is my ex husband's. We had a legal agreement that he makes the payments and insurance payments and he gets the car in his name by a certain date. He stuck me with 5 payments, 3 ins. payments and didnt get it in his name. Took him to court for contempt...judge ruled he gives me $600/month until I am paid back and still has to make all payments. He took off to South Carolina and didnt pay me. He also isnt allowed to take the car out of state. I am taking him back to court for contempt. If he doesnt show up, and there is a warrant out for him, will they bother to go pick him up in another state?

No, they won't bother with arresting him in SC for a civil contempt warrant or for not paying a civil judgment.

You see, collecting that judgment is your problem.

The cops don't care about bad debts.

Heck, you can't even report the car as stolen.

You and he owned it during your marriage.

He and you still own it.

The car and the loan is in my name only. I am trying to decide if I should just go take the car from him instead of racking up more lawyer bills. My lawyer said they will make him pay, but I dont know how, or if I will ever see the money. I keep reading that he could be jailed until he agrees to comply with the court order.

The car and the loan is in my name only. I am trying to decide if I should just go take the car from him instead of racking up more lawyer bills. My lawyer said they will make him pay, but I dont know how, or if I will ever see the money. I keep reading that he could be jailed until he agrees to comply with the court order.

I deduce by your post, that you live in PA.

He lives in SC.

If the agreement was part of a divorce proceeding, it is a civil matter.

The SC police won't do anything to him for a debt, that you allege he owes you.

I use the word allege, because until you prove it by hauling him before that court in PA, that is how the peoiple in SC will see it, too!

Now, I advise people NOT to engage in self help remedies.

Yes, if the facts are as you say, the car is legally yours.

But, you could go down to SC and try to snatch the car, just to prove a point.

Heck, by now, the car could have been trashed.

Bums and slugs like this, tend NOT to care for the property of others well!!!

If you do try to arrange this raid, be very careful.

Slugs like this tend to be violent, or hand around violent creatures that won't hesitate to do bodily harm to others.

Here is a thought, why not call the sheriff (and/or the local police ) in the area, and ask them what they would do (or could do) to assist you?????

Be careful, and Merry Christmas!!!

We are already divorced. this was a separate agreement. I already took him to court because he broke the agreement. The judge ruled he would pay me back all the payments and my lawyer fees. Then he took off to South Carolina because he is not planning on giving me any money. He is still sticking me with the payments. I filed for another contempt, but I dont know how they will make him pay if he is hiding in another state. Thanks for your replies.

That's the point - the court cannot force him to pay.

It is up to you to collect.

So, are you saying, If I file for contempt and take him to court, it will be a waste of my time and money?

He probably wont show up. If he would get picked up, wouldnt they force him to pay?

Last edited:
So, are you saying, If I file for contempt and take him to court, it will be a waste of my time and money?

He probably wont show up. If he would get picked up, wouldnt they force him to pay?

Do you NOT understand the meaning of NO?

Or, would it make you happy for me to lie to you and tell you, YES????

Yours is a civil matter.

There are thousands of real criminals running loose, and hundreds more join their ranks daily.

No court or police agency will ever be interested in your civil matter.

No, it isn't a waste of your time, but you'll never get what you desire by suing over an old car in a court in state in which your "ex" does NOT reside.

You'll likely prevail, if you sued him in small claims, but so what?

All you'd end up with is a piece of paper saying he owes you $XXXX.

Then what?

Well, you're back at square one.

You'd have to find him, serve him, seek out his assets, and try to collect on the judgment.

The dude is a deadbeat and outslicked you, again!!!!!!

They cannot and will not force him to pay, no.

You cannot get blood from a stone.

Well...with that said, I will probably go get the car back. The judge said if he didnt get it in his name, it would be awarded back to me anyway.

The plan was to go to court and get the car awarded back to me. Then maybe I could have had him arrested for stealing it.

I once went from OH to TX to retrieve a car. If I don't get it, no one gets it. Good luck, be careful. Wait until you can safely grab it. When you get it home disable it or park it at a friends. Call and advise you have taken it, once you get it secure. That should eliminate a theft report.

Well...with that said, I will probably go get the car back. The judge said if he didnt get it in his name, it would be awarded back to me anyway.

The plan was to go to court and get the car awarded back to me. Then maybe I could have had him arrested for stealing it.

Sigh.

If the court awards you the car, you have civil remedies. He will not be arrested for theft simply for having the car in his possession after you get a court order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back