If I’m 18, can I enroll in a different high school even if my parents won’t let me.

Dwisehart

Jurisdiction
Indiana
I'm 17, turn to soon 18. I moved a couple years ago, before I got into high school, and have attended the same school system ever since. I want to move back to where I lived before I moved, and attend a high school in the area. I would have a family to stay with, and a way to get to and from school. My parents are completely against the idea, and my older sister tells me that since I'm enrolled in school, my parents would still be responsible for me and therefore I wouldn't be able to switch schools. I don't know what to believe, because I'm legally an adult at 18, but I'm being told otherwise. Thanks for the help!!

I'm 17, turn to soon 18. I moved a couple years ago, before I got into high school, and have attended the same school system ever since. I want to move back to where I lived before I moved, and attend a high school in the area. I would have a family to stay with, and a way to get to and from school. My parents are completely against the idea, and my older sister tells me that since I'm enrolled in school, my parents would still be responsible for me and therefore I wouldn't be able to switch schools. I don't know what to believe, because I'm legally an adult at 18, but I'm being told otherwise. Thanks for the help!!

You're an adult at age 18 in Indiana.

You're free to enroll most anywhere.

If you enrolled as a HARP student (homeless) special assistance of many forms would be made available to you.

I'm 17, turn to soon 18. I moved a couple years ago, before I got into high school, and have attended the same school system ever since. I want to move back to where I lived before I moved, and attend a high school in the area.

You're turning 18 "soon." What does that mean? Sometime between now and the end of the current school year, right? What grade are you in? Unless they've been held back at some point, most students who turn 18 in the spring are in their senior/12th grade year. If, in fact, you're a high school senior, why would you want to change schools for only the last month or two of your high school career?

my older sister tells me that since I'm enrolled in school, my parents would still be responsible for me and therefore I wouldn't be able to switch schools.

Is your older sister a lawyer? Or is she just speaking out her ass?

I don't know what to believe, because I'm legally an adult at 18, but I'm being told otherwise.

Why not call the school you want to attend and ask about this?

So you have a family to live with and transportation. Who will be taking care of all of your other expenses? Once you turn 18 your parents have no legal obligation to take care of you. If you insist on moving out against their wishes, they will very likely cut you off. Think very carefully about that.

Back