Identity Theft

Cindy123

Jurisdiction
Nevada
I'm sorry, I had no idea which area to post this. Please move if you see fit.

I found out that an illegal alien somehow got a hold of my social security number and is using it falsely to obtain work status. I found this out during a background check an apartment complex ran on me when I tried to move in.
I called the social security office and asked how do I fix this situation and was told by the gentleman on the phone that once the cards are issued it is out of thier hands. I then asked if he could ask a supervisor for any advise at all that may help. He came back a few minutes later and said he was told by his supervisor that I should contact the credit bureau and the FCC. What in the world the fcc has to do with it I do not know, but I did what I was told (both done at their websites).
Now comes the time when I am forced to look for new employment due to my hours getting significantly lowered. How will I even get called in for a first interview if I will not be able to pass their background check?

Question number 1 :

Are background checks run before or after someone is called in?
If it's after, at least I will stand a fighting chance in obtaining the position because I will be able to explain the situation to them, and also provide proof that the S. S. number used on the application is indeed mine.

Question number 2 :

How do I go about reclaiming my number that was stolen from me?
I read online that a person had been trying for 10 years to get theirs back.

I know there is an action missing that I need to do in order to fix this. I just don't know what it is. Any advise would help.

Thank you very much in advance.

1. Background checks are done after. You would have opportunity to notify and explain the issue.

2. Make a report to your local law enforcement for identity theft. That retort will be sent to SSA and will be on record.
While someone else may be using your hunger it is not "stolen" in a sense that you are unable to use it.
Definitely report the matter to one of the major credit bureaus so they can begin to sort out discrepancies.

Background checks cost money. No employer is going to run a background check on someone before they've seen them, talked to them, and determined that they're one of the top candidates. Not only are they done after, but they won't be done on everyone who is interviewed. Depending on the employer and the state, sometimes they're not even done till after hire. So it's not going to be a factor in getting interviews.

Wow, you guys have been such a great help . Thank you so much!
I feel alot better regarding the situation. I almost didn't come here, but now I'm so glad I did.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND GOD BLESS

He came back a few minutes later and said he was told by his supervisor that I should contact the credit bureau and the FCC. What in the world the fcc has to do with it I do not know,

Any chance he said the FTC, not the FCC?

How will I even get called in for a first interview if I will not be able to pass their background check?

Huh?

Are background checks run before or after someone is called in?

A "background check" simply means that someone is checking your background. Many employees take various efforts to check the backgrounds of prospective employees before offering an interview.

If it's after, at least I will stand a fighting chance in obtaining the position because I will be able to explain the situation to them, and also provide proof that the S. S. number used on the application is indeed mine.

Why not submit your application or resume with a cover letter that briefly explains the situation?

How do I go about reclaiming my number that was stolen from me?

It would seem to me that, if someone is illegally using your SSN in connection with employment, tracking that person down would be fairly easy, and the police (or maybe even the FBI) could then arrest this person.

Back