Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Identity Theft, Facebook, Cyberstalking, Photos, Google

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carl, I'm not sure whether A reported the police. I can't get a hold of A. I kind of want to leave A alone for a while anyways. But X already acknowledges the crime and admitted to A that X has done it. X already confessed to me and A. X is feeling guilty and wants to receive the punishment even though X feels that the most important damage is irreparable.

Admitting to you and to the victim is one thing, but if X were to get charged, unless the cops got his admission first, you can bet he'd have an attorney tell him to shut up and compel the state to prove the matter.

But, it's in your friend A's court. If A wants to call the police, he or she can do so. If A has good cause for a suit and a reasonable expectation of recovering damages and attorney's fees, then that is dalso a decision they can make. About all you can do, then, is to sit back and let them work this out however they choose to do so.

- Carl

Carl, I'm not sure whether A reported the police. I can't get a hold of A. I kind of want to leave A alone for a while anyways. But X already acknowledges the crime and admitted to A that X has done it. X already confessed to me and A. X is feeling guilty and wants to receive the punishment even though X feels that the most important damage is irreparable.

I still think it is a stretch to say that a crime has been committed. This seems like a civil issue all around.

PC 502(c) is a real possibility and the most often charged in similar cases. I have recently worked two of these in the last month myself. In this case, as there is no noted fiscal loss or injury, it is unlikely to be aggressively pursued by law enforcement.

By virtue of the unlikely possibility of a prosecution, a civil suit would be the most likely avenue for compensation, but that might be expensive. Unless the perpetrator has assets or income -or the potential of such in the future (that can be attached in a judgment) it might not be worth it.

- Carl

So, if someone posted something on an internet forum, then asked the forum owner to delete them, and he refused . . . because he claims ownership of the content on the site . . . what's up?

Who has control over what they post . . . them or the site owner?

I see no one answered this; anyone care to take a shot at it?

Wow! Talk about timely; I just went to another forum and the administrator said he is changing the settings to limit the edit function to one hour.

That really pushes the question To Post or Not To Post?

As ugly as the Internet can be, if there is any doubt, don't. ;)

Last edited:
The control over what is posted is that of the person posting it. However, like the spoken word, once you put it out there no one else has a legal obligation to correct your words for you.

So, all because you ask an Admin to remove something that does not mean that they suddenly become responsible for it.

Such situations would have to be viewed in their entire context.

The control over what is posted is that of the person posting it. However, like the spoken word, once you put it out there no one else has a legal obligation to correct your words for you.

So, all because you ask an Admin to remove something that does not mean that they suddenly become responsible for it.

Such situations would have to be viewed in their entire context.

Prezactly the danger of the Internet, that every spoken word is permanently preserved. In real life, unless someone records it, that is bot the case, and even then, when it is recorded, that is sometimes still not the case. ;)

Things change and sometimes those changes mandate retraction. It is not good enough on the Internet just to go back and say I didn't mean to say that, what I meant is . . .

Sometimes you can't go back at all.

What was said stays said the way it was said.

It seems ironic to me that the purpose of Internet forums is to foster communication, but the nature of the beast and the rules of participation, do the opposite, discourages posting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back