Naturalization, Citizenship Identification Social Security Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

brlrendon

I'm really really hoping one of you guys can give me advice as to where to go on this because I'm completely stuck and it's a nightmare to go through.

I was born in Britain and came here with my mother when I was 2 years old and I'm now 19 years old. When we both came here my mother and I were issued social security numbers and everything. Now here is where I'm basically stuck in limbo...Unfortunately for me, my 15 1/2 birthday fell after 9/11 so when I went to my local DMV to get my permit (with my social security card and my British birth certificate) they wouldn't give it to me because they said I needed additional documentation. I've been trying to get that additional documentation since that day and have yet been unsuccessful. I'm 19 now so you can do the math. Because of all of this I have been unable to get a state issued I.D. or a Driver's License, so the only thing I have to I.D. myself are my school I.D.'s and those aren't accepted anymore as legit forms of I.D. This issue is currently affecting the job that I have. I recently found out that the Social Security Administration has my birthday entered in the system wrong. My birthday is 12/27 and they have it as 12/28, and because of that, my employer can't complete my work forms and I probably won't have a job anymore with that company if I can't get this resolved by the end of this week. I called the SSA and they said to change it, I would need to bring my birth certificate and my I.D. or permanent resident card. I obviously can't do that since I don't have either. So far as that job goes, it seems like the only option I have is to quit that job and when I find a new one just write my birthdate as 12/28 on all my documents. I'm just so frustrated right now, because I've been dealing with this for so long and I just don't know what to do. I feel like I'm half legal/half illegal. I mean, I've lived here for all of my life and all I know is America...
And it's just so aggravating because I've been working since I was 16 and now because of the HUGE immigration debate, it's hindering my ability to try and make an honest living for myself and my family. This is such a plague I sometimes feel like I should just walk up to the Immigration office and deport myself back to Britain (even though I know NOTHING about that country). What should I do here? Should I just get a fake I.D. to match my Birth Certificate and SS# just so I can get a job? Should I get a lawyer or something? Or am I just supposed to wait and hope that the new President offers some kind of amnesty or something? Because now, it seems like that's my only option. Is there any place that would give me a state I.D. with just my social security card and birth certificate? Because if so, that would pretty much solve all of my problems! I just really need some advice because I don't know what to do anymore.

PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:
Well, I didn't get a response, so I guess I'll ask more of a direct question... How do I get an I.D. ? I live in oklahoma and its virtually impossible to get one here, but with my situation in mind, is there a state that will issue me some type of identification? I've exhausted pretty much every option that I know of (besides getting married to my boyfriend) to try and get JUST an I.D. I've been told that I need to contact the british embassy to get a passport, but they told me that since I've been out of the country for so long, that I would need to actually go to britain to get it an then come back. Can of you guys please give me some legal advice? Anything helps at this point. I mean if you think that im stuck then at least tell me that, I just need a direction to go in.. Please please please tell me what you think I should do!

I feel your pain. There are a few states which would. One is Maryland. You can get a driver license and state ID there. There are about three other states.........Can't remember. They do give IDs and DLs to undocumented immigrants. You would not be able to adjust your status without evaluating your situation with a lawyer. Visit an immigration lawyer for a free initial consultation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back