I was tricked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tagnil

*Main Point-Attorney Chuck Vanasse purposefully verbally misrepresented court documents he had prepared in order to bring about my arrest in order to aid his client's goals.

I met Mr. Vanasse for the first time at family court. He assured me that he was only interested in helping my wife and I through this difficult time. After brief discussion (during which time he left several times to discuss matters with my ex who was across the hall) we agreed to visitation and he prepared documents for my wife, the judge, and myself to sign. There were many points, but for the purposes of this complaint, one stands out. This point was that the children would be picked up, by me, at a local McDonald's, and dropped off at my ex-wife's current home. Mr. Vanasse repeated this several times. I looked the papers over before signing, but foolishly did not give them a thorough reading. I suppose that I was somewhat disarmed by the apparent kindness Mr. Vanasse was demonstrating. The day of the very first visit I picked up the children at McDonald's, had a nice day, and then arrived at my in-laws for the drop off. Once there I was detained by a member of the family who wanted to discuss some of the aspects of the divorce. In short order a police car pulled up and I was arrested. The court papers were produced and it was demonstrated to me that the drop off was to occur at McDonald's. I spent the next twelve hours in jail before making bail. Though no charges were ever brought against me, I went to court several times, had to pay $1,000 in bail and spent the night in jail for the first time in my 37 years. I called Mr. Vanasse the next day and he apologized profusely, claiming that it had been a simple mistake and stating that he would be happy to write me a letter to take to court stating he had told me the drop off was to be at the home. When no letter appeared I left several messages with his secretary, but Mr. Vanasse chose not to respond. The day before the court date I left one more impassioned request but again received no response. When I later questioned Mr. Vanasse he claimed to have never received the messages. When I questioned his secretary, she simply stated that she always relayed all messages to Mr. Vanasse. In two conversations I had with my ex-wife during all of this, she confirmed that Mr. Vanasse purposefully misinformed me, stating that the two of them had discussed the matter both before and after my arrest. She went so far as to state that they were not so much interested in me being miserable as in my "using up" the misdemeanor charge of violating a court order, the second violation being a felony. In other words, they wanted to have a felony hanging over my head, and for me to be aware that they could easily orchestrate another arrest. She went so far, as did Mr. Vanasse in subsequent discussions, as to say that all that would be necessary to send me away for a long time, would be for her to claim that I was in the same supermarket as her. She has since begun denying that this was a set up, refusing to discuss the matter at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back