Consumer Law, Warranties I was commissioned to do some graphic drawings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alebrooke

I had completed most of the drawings and the the client changed his mind and said he wants only half the work.
He had paid me half of the monies as a deposit.
I was not happy with that especially as I have completed most of the work.
So far I have given him nothing.
Now he is insisting that I give him the deposit back, or else he will take legal proceedings. Where do I stand? None of our contract was in writing, only emails and verbal.
Appreciate your advice in this matter.

As they say, half a loaf is better than no loaf.

You have nothing in writing, take the deal.

At least you get paid and don't have to fight over it.

Next time get it in writing, use a contract!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I think you misunderstand. He is now saying he wants the monies back and will take legal proceedings if I do not return the monies.

alebrooke said:
No, I think you misunderstand. He is now saying he wants the monies back and will take legal proceedings if I do not return the monies.

I'd give him all the drawings.
He'll might sue you anyway, but without a contract, I doubt he will recover.

You must, however, make sure you can deliver on the agreement.

I'd also document everything you can about this agreement.

The fact that he gave you half of the agreed upon funds up front bodes well for you.

As a good faith effort you must deliver.

You might not get any more payments, but you have something.

I have the drawings ready...I think half way through it changed his mind and decided to change the criteria, which isn't fair on me as I have spent so many hours on the project.
What if I say to him I am willing to give him 2 or even 3 of the drawings for what he has paid thus far?

alebrooke said:
I have the drawings ready...I think half way through it changed his mind and decided to change the criteria, which isn't fair on me as I have spent so many hours on the project.
What if I say to him I am willing to give him 2 or even 3 of the drawings for what he has paid thus far?

Do that, and he will react in a negative way.

He'll sue you!!!

Give him all the work you've done and ask, "When will you be sending mevthe balance you agreed to when you commissioned this work?"

You should get him to sign a receipt for all of the work you give him and a bill for the balance.

Army, I disagree. I don't doubt the guy will sue, but I think he will lose and the artist will get paid for all the work. I personally would keep the drawings and notify the client in writing that he can have the works upon full payment for services. I think if the man sues he will lose completely. He will have to pay, written contract or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back