Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication I was attacked, now untrue claims being made that I provided alcohol and marijuana

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryB

I was vacationing at a house rented in Ocean City, Maryland, celebrating a friend's 21st birthday. I am 21, and some there were of age and some were under 21.

I had been away from the house all night, with the birthday boy and others of legal age at the clubs. A couple minutes after getting back to the house (I was not very intoxicated because I had to take care of the birthday boy), this kid comes up to me claiming I said something bad about him. I tried to calmly inform him I said no such thing, and next thing I know he sucker-punches me and I'm on the ground bleeding. My lip, teeth, and jaw were damaged, so when I got back to NJ I sent him and his parents a registered letter (they live in NY) letting them know what happened and that when medical bills come I expect them to pay.

This is where the alcohol and drug issue comes in. I received a letter back claiming that I provided him with both alcohol and marijuana, neither which are true. The only alcohol I purchased the entire time was one six pack of beer that I consumed myself over two days, and there was marijuana but it was not mine. I did not smoke nor did I bring it into the house. They are saying that if I don't pursue this anymore they will not make those charges against me.

There is no evidence of me providing either (except for the word of his friend who was the only one in the area he punched me at and would say anything). Both the providing alcohol and marijuana are simply his word against mine, unless his friend decides to lie for him.

Is it worth progressing with this, or is it possible that even in a his word against mine situation I may still lose and be charged with these offenses? I cannot afford either a providing alcohol to minors violation or providing drugs to a minor due to my possible future career. It's unfair that although I was attacked by a drunk minor without any provocation, I am being threatened with false charges if I pursue this.

I understand your problem……..I would say given he has a witness who would say whatever, it might not be worth it given you want to keep your record clean. Being partly an organizer of the party, you and the birthday boys could be liable for any alcohol to minors or drug charges. It might open a can of warms which could hurt those you don't intend to hurt. The legal cost for you to fight and get your medical bills back might not be worth the fight…..because they could file some against you. It is blackmail, but they the fact that there was alcohol and marijuana there could hurt innocent friends. I think you should let it go to avoid implicating others even if you are innocent. They would probably make up good excuses as to why the informed you of the drugs and alcohol only after your letter………Let it fly unless you have a lot of time and money in your hands!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back