Breaking a Lease i want out

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwantoutofLA

I live in an apartment in LA, near Culver City, signed year lease, 1st day in the apartment home filled with marijuana smoke, reported this to management office, have had this on going problem for 6 months, have informed management each time, we were told by management that the tenants are being evicted, just be patient, we are still 6 months in and deal with this issue 1-3 times per week, every week, for 6 months now, tired of waiting, asked to be let out of lease, management refused, ready to just leave, explained in writing, on phone, in person that this issue is affecting our health, have constant coughing, headaches, bronchitis, cant sleep due to smoke waking us up day, afternoon, evening, its horrible, have another tenant that lives across hall who also smokes marijuana and overwhelmed by smell in halls, in the lease there is an addendum that states to report illegal drug use & tenant will be evicted, we have and nothing has been done, we asked for case number of eviction so we can confirm being done, if so, taking so long, refused, confidential info, asked for proof of eviction, refused, we are ready to stop paying rent & move or let them evict us & go to court and state our case, want to know can we withhold rent due to inhabitable living, lack of peaceful enjoyment, tenants being allowed to do illegal drugs and management knows, also found out prior tenant moved for the exact same reason & that means management moved us in knowing that there is a known problem with illegal drugs/marijuana smoke is affecting tenant in apt.

Did you consider calling the non-emergency police line?

And while I'm pretty sure how this question will be answered, it's worth asking anyway: how do you know it's not a legal herb (sativa, for example) or particularly obnoxious incense?

OP, in your state, as in a few others marijuana, has been somewhat legalized by calling it "medicinal marijuana"!

It could very well be, that if "herb" is being ignited and smoked, it's because the user has a medical marijuana card.

It's entirely legal in your state to smoke that STUFF like a coal fired iron smelter with an easily obtained medical marijuana card!

There might be no easy way out, except to negotiate a paid early out, if the landlord is amenable to such a deal.

Otherwise, be prepared to be surprised in court.

As an old country trial lawyer, I've learned to anticipate the unexpected.

You might consider that, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back