Student Loans I told them to repo my degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissNe

I went to a public, state university for my undergrad. I majored in something silly. I am apart of the "do what you love, butterflies, unicorns, blah blah" generation. Lies.

I have student loan debt I cannot afford bc I cannot find a job with actual income.

I looked into expanding my horizons via a local, public, community college. I was interested in a trade program. I was told that, because my degree is over five years old, I would have to start completely over. English comp. College algebra. Everything. My core classes are null and void.

So, I have a useless degree, which is "expired," and I still owe $33k, while making $9/hr. If my degree were a car, I would sell it or voluntarily turn it back in.

I realize it is completely conceptual, but would it be feasible to tell SallieMae, and her pit bulls, to "repo" my degree? Give up all ties, claims, affiliations to my former university in lieu of debt? Never again be able to say that I went to the University of such'n'such just to get Sallie Mae out of my life. My 21hrs of English is no longer recognizable by a community college (which only requires 6hrs of English lol), so what good is this 128hr degree actually doing? Take it back.

Not gonna happen. Whether you can use it or not, you took the classes and got the degree. You owe for it.

Maybe you need to check around with a few more colleges/departmental advisors. I got my 30 year old freshman comp credits from a junior college in my state accepted at a four year institution in a different state in the past year. :party:

You still owe the money for your degree though boyzgrrl gives you a good suggestion to see if your degree might be accepted elsewhere.

It's now legal for the student loan collectors to take 15% of social insecurity benefits.
Sadly, there's no escaping them until you die.

Well, people often have a really hard time with these default loans. In spite of 401(k) loans making good financial sense in theory, the quantity of 401(k) loan defaults is still higher than normal. To take a 401(k) loan is an earlier withdrawal from their account, which they have to pay back. That is why a number of people have trouble paying them back once they take from their retirement funds. With these hardships going on, people need some fast cash to be able to pay for these expenses later on.

Well, since no one here is talking about 401(k) loans, that would appear to be irrelevant to the thread. Why don't you and everyone else at your Romanian IP address go spam somewhere else?

There are very few degrees which are a direct pathway to a career. This is especially true at the undergraduate level. You don't go to college to get a job for the most part, you go to get an education which you can later use in a job/career. Find 10 working adults with college degrees and ask them if their current job is directly in that field. Chances are, with few exceptions, that they are not. I'm not sure what it is you are looking to do with your career but whatever school you graduated from is likely to have a career center with career counselors who can help you. This is available to alums as well as current enrollees. I suggest making an appointment with the office and using the contacts they have available to both figure out what you would like to do and what opportunities are available to help you get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back