I Think I Need Some Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean_in_TX

I am currently involved a a suit affecting the parent-child relationship and am the Grandmother who has temporary joint managing conservatorship with the biological parents of the 17 month old baby.

I have held this status for a year now and we recently had a GAL appointed for the child. At this point I would like to first, amend the original pleadings to add my husband to the suit. Second, file a petition to terminate rights of bio. father. (The GAL has said she would support this in court, but only if I have an attorney.) Third, I need to make the termination papers available to bio mom to sign, (I believe she will sign willingly after the bio father does), and finally will need assistance in proceeding with adoption of child.

I do not have a lot of money up front and have been handling the case pro-se since June of this year since the bio parents have never assisted with any needs of the child including daycare, diapers, food, medical and any legal fees. I did pretty good until I came to this point and I believe the judge will rule more in my favor if I have a licensed attorney instead of doing it myself. However, like I said, I don't have much money up front for a large retainer, but am a Christian woman and I know that this is the best for this child.

I know attorney's get paid alot for their skills, but can't find one that will even look at the case without a $1000.00 retainer. (I don't have that kind of money up front.)

If I proceed on my own, against everyone's advice, is it possible that judge will overrule and force me to get an attorney before I come back to his courtroom?

Does anyone have any advice or tips to share?

Thank you in advance for any advice or assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back