I purchased a outdoor swingset

Aaaa

Jurisdiction
New York
So I purchased a used swing set that was advertised advertised as pristine condition I paid a company to move it and It was in very poor condition I contacted the seller And they wouldn't listen to anything..... so I contacted my credit card company and told them what happened sent them proof back and forth and they credited me the amount I paid.

The seller emails me that his attorney advised to reach out to me otherwise he will file a Police report that it was stolen........
Ok so my questions are if he does file a police report what happens?
What should I do now?

So I purchased a used swing set that was advertised advertised as pristine condition I paid a company to move it and It was in very poor condition I contacted the seller And they wouldn't listen to anything..... so I contacted my credit card company and told them what happened sent them proof back and forth and they credited me the amount I paid.

The seller emails me that his attorney advised to reach out to me otherwise he will file a Police report that it was stolen........
What should I do now?
Ship back the swing set.

What should I do now?
If he files a police report, there likely isn't much that will happen since this is a civil matter, but you could be charged with a crime, if the police feel it is appropriate. Have you offered to return (at YOUR expense) the item to the seller, whom you have deprived of his money AND property?

You paid THOUSANDS to have an item shipped that you didn't even bother inspecting?

"Pristine" is an entirely subjective term. It's called "puffery". YOU screwed up by not inspecting the item BEFORE spending so much money on it.
He sent photos.
But not showing the faulty parts.

Life lesson from the school of hard knocks - don't buy anything that you can't personally touch, see, hear, taste, and smell, unless you want to throw away your money.

You bought a used swingset which cost you at least $5,500 ...and you didn't think that taking a day to check it out was worth it?

Pay for your purchase or return it. You can't have it both ways.

You bought a used swingset which cost you at least $5,500 ...and you didn't think that taking a day to check it out was worth it?

Pay for your purchase or return it. You can't have it both ways.
I feel like everyone's attacking me They advertise something in a certain condition they sent photos I should spend an entire day and gas which I don't have I was counting on the protection from my credit card which thankfully assisted me why would I spend more money ?

I feel like everyone's attacking me They advertise something in a certain condition they sent photos I should spend an entire day and gas which I don't have I was counting on the protection from my credit card which thankfully assisted me why would I spend more money ?
You can afford thousands for a swingset, but not gas for a 10-hour round trip? You may wish to reevaluate your priorities.

Pay for the swingset or pay to send it back. Really

You can afford thousands for a swingset, but not gas for a 10-hour round trip? You may wish to reevaluate your priorities.

Pay for the swingset or pay to send it back. Really
Did I say I can't afford the gas? Why should I pay for the swing set if it's significantly not as described? Why should I spend $2k or more now to return it if it was not my fault

Did I say I can't afford the gas? Why should I pay for the swing set if it's significantly not as described? Why should I spend $2k or more now to return it if it was not my fault

Why, you ask?

To avoid being sued would be enough motivation for me.

The scammers who sold you a shoddy, decrepit product wouldn't hesitate to steal more of your hard earned moola.

If you contacted the scammer err, seller; you might be able to arrange a mutually satisfactory outcome.

If you are able to do so, make sure you get it in writing!!!

I'm really confused about the dollar amounts being thrown around here. Even something as elaborate as this (which is much more than a "swing set") is only $2,700.

Did you buy this thing from a private seller or a retailer? Did you receive any sort of warranty? If you got a warranty, please quote the relevant terms.

As someone noted above, representing something to be in "pristine" condition (or even "great" or "really good" condition) is meaningless. Similarly, your characterization of it being in "very poor condition" is meaningless. For it to be meaningful, you would have to provide some FACTS to support your assertion in this regard.

It is quite unfathomable to spend several thousand dollars on something like this, sight unseen.

Bottom line: you don't get to keep the item AND not pay for it.

Did I say I can't afford the gas?
Yeah - maybe it's not what you intended to say, though:
I should spend an entire day and gas which I don't have ...

Why should I pay for the swing set if it's significantly not as described?
Because you agreed to buy a used item as-is.
Why should I spend $2k or more now to return it if it was not my fault
Because you were the one who removed it from his premises.

Back