I paid for it.. are they entitled to keep it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearful4Real

Here's the thing...

My bf and I just split up for good yesterday. I moved in with him from California Jan 1st. I gave up everything in Cali because I loved him and we were going to get married. He was even going to adopt my daughter for gosh sakes. He had a rental agreement that was never signed by his granny and himself, so it was more or less verbal. His rent went up to $350 about May or June when his granny decided to inforce the lease - he gets a roommate and he pays $50 extra. Back in Jan and February, I literally only had 4 pairs of clothes to my name because the remainder of my belongings were on a moving truck that was in storage until I had the full balance. I got my taxes mid February, paid the moving truck bill, paid for things we needed in the house, offered to pay rent (which I was declined) and bought a new dishwasher because he had thrashed the last one that belonged in the house. Things got really rocky in our relationship - he was being secretive and cheating. In mid August we decided to "take a break". He promised me (again, verbal... I know I should have gotten it in writing) that he would give me all my belongings and my dishwasher if we were to split up for good. I had already been approved to rent another house by the first of September. I moved most of my stuff and he told me to leave some stuff because the "break" was only temp. Long story short, I went to get my stuff yesterday and call it quits completely because I found he was lying to me and cheating on me. He wouldn't let me - instead he calls his mom to come over to tell me to get off his property. Then she tells me that the dishwasher is for back pay on rent and if I wanted to get it, I needed to pay the back rent. She changed her tune within the conversation and then said I couldn't get it back at all, I needed an attorney. The agreement (verbal) was that I would pay out child care, gas for my vehicle, all the groceries and any extra would go toward utilities. My ex has a history of not paying his bills and relying on his roommates or parents to bail him out. This is what happened... each time I offered I was declined to help. I did pay out about $300 for utilities and $150 in rent. My question is, does his mother, who is not "legally" the landlord (but she is the overbearing type), does she have rights to my dishwasher? I have the receipt. Nothing was told to me about them keeping it. It was a decision made that day when I wanted my belongings. What can I do??:mad:

Oh, the other thing was, I sat down with his mom about what the expenses would be. She was aware that I didn't have any money towards the end of the month. Her son on the other hand decided not to be responsible. I also told both of them that once I was to received child support again, or that the child care payment was reduced, I was able to pay more. About that time, is when we decided to "take a break". I tried to be as responsible on my side as possible and I feel like I'm getting screwed to say the least.

You've got two issues here...

One is that if a tenant purchases items that become "attached" to the rental property (for example, kitchen cabinents or...as in your case...a dishwasher) they become the property of the landlord/owner and cannot be removed at the end of the tenancy without permission.

The second issue is that your boyfriend hadn't the legal right to tell you that you'd get the dishwasher if you two ever broke up. He's not the landlord or owner of the property, simply another tenant. His mother would likely argue that she's working as the agent of the owner (Granny in this case).

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back