I need to get out of here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiser

My mom's a good person. She isn't particularly mean, and definitely not abusive or violent or anything like that. But she's just not smart financially and it's really making my life a living hell.

A few years ago we had a lot of family, but she and my step-dad bought a business. It failed, and I think they're in incredible debt. They've also bought boats and trailers, which they'd end up selling for money. They buy and sell cars, no joking, one a month, always losing money. On top of that we live in a very well-ff area, in a very big house they purchased before going poor. And also, she's adopted three children from foreign countries, which I know costs a lot. I ask her about it and all she says is "People have to take risks in life".

She's hopeless, no one will support her financially or lend her any money. And I want out. My biological dad, who is on very peaceful terms with my mom and her family supports me and my two brothers who are in college. This is besides the huge amount of child support he gives to my mom. Everything in my room at my mom's is purchased by my dad. I have to buy my own food with my dad's money.

At 15 and a half, I want to know if I can just move to my dad's? I know my mom would care a lot, but I know moving from her would decrease her expenses (the only reason she still lives in this high income area, even though she hates it and always complains about it is because she wants to stay with me until I graduate, three years from now). I can't take three more years, and I don't she can financially either. Our house is becoming filled with her adopted kids, we have over the legal amount of pets - it's just insane. Is there anything my mom can do from stopping me moving to my dad's?

Originally posted by kaiser:
My mom's a good person. She isn't particularly mean, and definitely not abusive or violent or anything like that. But she's just not smart financially and it's really making my life a living hell.

A few years ago we had a lot of family, but she and my step-dad bought a business. It failed, and I think they're in incredible debt. They've also bought boats and trailers, which they'd end up selling for money. They buy and sell cars, no joking, one a month, always losing money. On top of that we live in a very well-ff area, in a very big house they purchased before going poor. And also, she's adopted three children from foreign countries, which I know costs a lot. I ask her about it and all she says is "People have to take risks in life".

She's hopeless, no one will support her financially or lend her any money. And I want out. My biological dad, who is on very peaceful terms with my mom and her family supports me and my two brothers who are in college. This is besides the huge amount of child support he gives to my mom. Everything in my room at my mom's is purchased by my dad. I have to buy my own food with my dad's money.

At 15 and a half, I want to know if I can just move to my dad's? I know my mom would care a lot, but I know moving from her would decrease her expenses (the only reason she still lives in this high income area, even though she hates it and always complains about it is because she wants to stay with me until I graduate, three years from now). I can't take three more years, and I don't she can financially either. Our house is becoming filled with her adopted kids, we have over the legal amount of pets - it's just insane. Is there anything my mom can do from stopping me moving to my dad's?
In many states there is an age which a child can choose which parent he or she wants to live. It would seem that your desires are well founded. Laws vary from state to state and if available in your state it would seem you might be old enough to qualify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back