Eviction Grounds I need to Evict an Ex-boyfriend who's name is not on the lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellec90

I have an ex-boyfriend who currently will not move out of an apartment that is leased by myself in Dekalb County, Georgia. His name is not on the lease at all. He has not paid his rent in two months. He has sent emails informing me that he is going to continue to live in the apartment to mess up my credit. I cannot break my lease until he vacates the apartments, yet I was told by Dekalb county police that I cannot evict/throw any of his belongings out because he is a resident there. I did not remove any of his belongings from the apartment. I asked my leasing office to change the locks and they did so three days later. On the day the locks were changed, my ex showed up at my apartment in Lawrenceville, Georgia with three Lawrenceville police officers. The officers told me that although I have the right change the locks to the apartment, I would still have to give him a copy of the keys.
what are the necessary steps that I need to take to get this issue resolved as far as getting him out of the apartment?
Also, is the information that the policemen provided to me accurate?
Thanks!

If he will not leave, you have to evict him legally & through the court system. You can do a google search on how to evict someone in your state.

I have an ex-boyfriend who currently will not move out of an apartment that is leased by myself in Dekalb County, Georgia. His name is not on the lease at all. He has not paid his rent in two months. He has sent emails informing me that he is going to continue to live in the apartment to mess up my credit. I cannot break my lease until he vacates the apartments, yet I was told by Dekalb county police that I cannot evict/throw any of his belongings out because he is a resident there. I did not remove any of his belongings from the apartment. I asked my leasing office to change the locks and they did so three days later. On the day the locks were changed, my ex showed up at my apartment in Lawrenceville, Georgia with three Lawrenceville police officers. The officers told me that although I have the right change the locks to the apartment, I would still have to give him a copy of the keys.
what are the necessary steps that I need to take to get this issue resolved as far as getting him out of the apartment?
Also, is the information that the policemen provided to me accurate?
Thanks!

Yes, the police told you the truth.
There's no shortcut in getting him gone.
By illegally locking him out, you've made it easy for him to defend an illegal eviction and lockout.
Another unintended negative consequence for you is that he can sue you or the illegal lockout.
You'll end up owing him much more than you say he owes you.
Those emails aren't worth much, and if he's clever, he'll use the legal system and those things will never be admitted at trial.
Absent a SIGNED contract, or a promissory note, he owes you NOTHING.
This is one more reason you don't put financial obligations in your name alone!!!
This s especially true with deadbeat boyfriends.
He's not legally required to pay the rent.
You, once more screwed yourself by getting the lease in your name, ONLY.
Sorry, the entire lease amount is on your back.
Unmarried people should NEVER become involved in financial obligations.
It's tough enough untangling the finances of married people.
Our laws don't concern themselves with the tangled, commingled finances of unmarried people.
You should do as Betty suggested, Google, Bing, or Yahoo "Eviction process YOUR COUNTY, GA".
You then color inside the lines, and do each thing in the order and manner directed.
You've made a mess.
Each day you avoid the obvious solution, is anther day you allow him to not only beat you, but to use the egalitarian system to destroy your finances and your life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back