I need help with possible probation violation

GIMMYMIK

Jurisdiction
California
I recently received a citation for possession of a controlled substance in Santa Ana, CA which is in Orange County, CA. I am on probation for two DUIs in LA County. I would like to know what to do as I am going to seek a public defender this time rather than hire an attorney. Does anyone have advice on what my first step should be and from there onward? Thank you in advance.

I recently received a citation for possession of a controlled substance in Santa Ana, CA which is in Orange County, CA. I am on probation for two DUIs in LA County. I would like to know what to do as I am going to seek a public defender this time rather than hire an attorney. Does anyone have advice on what my first step should be and from there onward? Thank you in advance.

You are required to report ALL police contacts ASAP after such contact to your probation officer.

If you've done that, great.

If you haven't done that, do it TODAY, as required in the terms of your probation agreement.

As far as the revocation hearing, you know the drill.

You plead not guilty, ask the court of you qualify for a public defender, admit to nothing, confess to nothing, don't discuss the details of the case, and don't try to explain how you ended up catching the charge.

When you meet with your lawyer, that's the time to ask your questions.

One last thing, buddy.

Today locate the nearest meeting of an AA or NA chapter.

Attend the meeting, each and every day as this drama plays out.

Work the program, because if you don't, the criminal justice system will work you over, mate.

Any self improvements you make will help you, no matter how this little saga ends.

Read these links for additional details:

Criminal attorneys explain "California Probation Violation Hearings"
Probation Revocation | Nolo.com

Well thank you. And I have no probation officer as I'm on informal probation. Also, I have finished my 18 month DUI class and passed 1.5 years of having an interlock device, records showing strict meeting attendance, etc. So, I do appreciate your help. I'm hoping to speak with a public defender this week and if any are reading this, your input is welcome greatly.
Thanks

Back