...I got the jail house blues.......

T

Thumbelina58

Jurisdiction
Indiana
I was arrested (public intoxification) on a Friday night, so I had to stay until Monday. My husband paid my bond (300.00) Monday at 4:06. No one came for me until 7:15pm. When I asked the officer
what took so long, said oh well ....hahahahahahaha ..we all thought you were gone. haahahahaaaa, but we gonna get you out of here now . hahaaaaaaahahaahaaaahaha.

Can I do anything about this?? I don't want a large settlement, I just want to get across that they can't treat someone like this even if they are in a position to do so.

Thanks! Janet

There seems to be an unusual practice of "continued incarceration" in Indiana, even after judges order pre-trial inmates to be released:

Amended complaint: Marion County inmates held days after release ordered | The Indiana Lawyer
Bond and bail statues of Indiana:
CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE CHAPTER 17. BAIL
The time to effect a bonded person being released from custody is generally a creature of court rules. You might be able to see what time limits, if any, are set by the court from you which you were bonded.

Otherwise, have a discussion with three or four lawyers in your county in order to better assess if you have harmed enough to have an actionable basis for a lawsuit against the sheriff.

Back