I got robbed, lied too, harrassed, verbally attacked and my family is sad and shocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmoss79741

I quit my job of 19 yrs to work for a small shop that offered more money, a move to colorado with my family, and where houses are cheap. The owner said he couldnt pay overtime but would pay me when he sold his house and give it to me as a gift tax free for a down payment. Eight months later, almost 1000 hours of overtime, just 2 days after the close of escrow, with over $25,000 owed, I was fired for not leaving fast enough when he told me to go home because I wasnt moving fast enough to move his house furniture into a storage box (my title was programmer, not laborer). How can I get my money, toolbox, my software cd's, my paper notes, my notebook with my hours written on them, and my leather case. I feel I was lied to or tricked. Several timed he harrassed me trying to get me to do something I know I shouldnt so he could get rid of me. I was scared to ask for a contract about my overtime, because he was changinginto someone else as it grew closer to the time he would get his money from the sale of the house.

I had a close relationship with the owner, even going to his kids birthday parties with my family and him to mine. I help him find his house in colorado, assisted in the getting info for his new building there too. I answered phones and opened and closed the shop. I instructed other employees and worked on many special projects. I even worked in his house on Sundays. The relationship was so close that I didnt think about a written contract about the overtime. I was being paid a large amout of money per hour and was excited that he offered me the opportunity to be in charge of the cnc department once we moved.I even started buying new furniture and snow/ cold weather clothing for the move.

After I find out if I do or dont have a case here and was robbed, then I will start an investigation into possible illegal rebuilding old auto parts and selling them as new, discrimination and harrassment to other employees who are still working and who have quit due to stress, openly verbal racist comments and polictical views. I could supply a list of names of former employees who will testify everything I have typed plus more. I could possibly get the two remaining employees to testify since they will lose there jobs in the next couple of months when the business moves out of state.

Help me so this owner cant hurt anyone else.

TM

Last edited:
Take all this info to a local lawyer and see if he thinks you have a case.

Shortly after I submitted this post, the owners wife called me and asked me to meet the owner at the shop Monday Dec. 18th at 7am. She told me to get use to he owners temper, that she has. Try to avoid him when he is in a bad mood and do what he says. Said for me to apologize for not leaving fast enough and I could get my job back. This only gave me more stress. Monday I showed up at 7 and he did most of the talking. He had me type stuff up onhis computer of what things I wanted from him. Three hours later after I begged for my overtime back pay, he wrote a check but only straight time. The check didnt say paid in full and knowing I was getting at least some money, I took the check.

I wrote 7am on the time card. He told me to do some assembly work. This to me was degrading work since the title in my last job was senior manufacturing engineer. But I was getting paid high to do assemlby.I guess it felt more of a punishment than easy money. He then complains why did I write 7am if he told me to start working at 10am. I said your wife told me to be here at 7. He said he isnt paying me for discussion. I left at 3:30 anyways even though he was mad. I wanted to get out of there so fast. During the discussion he said I was naive, he didnt give me the keys to the shop back. He said he could afford to pay me overtime anymore. He complained that my salary prevented him in moving to colorado faster.He complained about the building costs, fees, moving expenses, etc. He stopped and stared at me as if I was suppose to respond. Im feeling more stress. Then he tells me the stuff I typed on the computer isnt what he told me to do. That I wasted my own time. It seems like he is playing a mind game with me.

I am told the next day to show up at 8am. This is unusual since I always use to start at 6am. I do and I see him give me evil looks. Its really cold out and usually he turns on the heater, but this time he opens all the doors. Im wearing two jackets and trying to run a machine. I look to another employee who makes a head shake gesture. The newest employee tells me that if the owner tells him anything he is going to "go off" and then quit. He acknowledges that all this hostility in the shop and what I have been hearing is giving me stress. That I should seek an attorney. Since the owner doesnt offer any medical insurance, I should get some compensation to pay for a doctor to help me with the stress or the depression. I leave after an hour and tell him im sick and need to go to the doctor.

Its now depression since now I think I let my family down. Two years in planning to move out of state and now I cant bear to hear or see this owner. It would be painful for me to work for him. I cant stand him yelling in my face to degrading me infront of other employees anymore.

I see a doctor who gives me prozac and a week off note. The week is almost up (Wed Dec 27) and I dont know what to do. The rest of my overtime,my personal belongings, my pride and confidence, my bills, my pain, the other employees who are still there, the past employees who were friends who quit due to stress, etc.

On a side note, I believe it is illegal to classify my position as office to save on workers comp when my real duties require me to run machines, use saws and other power equip.

Its probably also illegal to rebuild a car part and install it into a device and sell it as new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back