i got a car with no title from towing company, how can i get a title?

NoBrakesJake76

Jurisdiction
Idaho
So, about a year and a half ago, I was given a vehicle for free from a towing company with no title. I believe the vehicle was abandoned and towed by a towing company and impounded. The towing company gave me the vehicle with no paperwork whatsoever, not even a bill of sale. I had a VIN inspection done on it and it came back clean, no liens, not stolen or anything. Is there a way to get a bonded or abandoned title for it since its been on my property for well over a year? I don't necessarily want it gone or to resell it, I'd actually like to fix it up and drive it as it is a classic vehicle. The towing company refuses to give me a bill of sale, so the only paperwork I have as of right now, is the VIN inspection slip. How can I get any sort of title for this vehicle? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Your state honors and issues bonded titles.

Your state's vehicle licensing agency explains how to obtain a bonded title:

https://itd.idaho.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Bonded-Title-Application-Instr_DMV.pdf

Bonded titles, the essentials:

Bonded Title Application Instructions
Idaho Transportation Department Bonding is required when a title applicant is unable to satisfy requirements necessary to obtain a regular title for a vehicle less than 10 years old. The bond required is for 1½ times the appraised value of the vehicle, and must remain in effect for three years. Bonded titles carry the brand "Bonded Title" along with an expiration date that is three years from the date of the bond. When the expiration date has been reached, if no claims have been made against the bond, the owner may submit the title to any county DMV office in Idaho, apply for a regular title, pay the title fee and obtain a new title which does not have the bond.

The Bonded Title Process:
1) Contact an Idaho Transportation Department title representative at 334-8663 to confirm that bonding is required. If bonding is required, ITD will provide a list of states in which there are motor vehicle records pertaining to the vehicle in question.

2) With the information provided by ITD, order a Motor Vehicle Record Report from the appropriate state(s) to obtain the most recent title record information. Using that information, notify any owners and lienholders of your intent to title the vehicle in the State of Idaho. This notification must be sent via certified mail. Keep any returned mail and receipts to submit to ITD with the title application. If there is a
lien on record for the vehicle, a lien release must be obtained.

3) Obtain an appraisal and VIN inspection from a licensed Idaho vehicle dealer. (ITD 3504, Vehicle Appraisal and Vehicle Identification Number Inspection)

4) Purchase a surety bond from an insurance agency, or any other agency that sells vehicle surety bonds, for 1½ times the appraised value of the vehicle. The Vehicle Ownership Bond must be completed by the insurance company. Failure to complete the bond in its entirety will result in a rejection of the title application and documents submitted.

5) Complete the form ITD 3410, Indemnifying Affidavit. The information on the affidavit must include:
 the reason for the absence of a title or other ownership document
 how the vehicle came into your possession and the approximate date purchased
 which state the vehicle was last believed to have been titled and/or registered in
 seller's name and address

6) Apply in person at any county DMV office and present all of the following:
 Motor Vehicle Record print out (from Idaho or other state)
 Completed ITD 3404, Vehicle Appraisal and Vehicle Identification Number Inspection
 Completed ITD 3410, Indemnifying Affidavit
 The original Vehicle Ownership Bond signed by the insurance company and the applicant
 Certified Mail receipts and copies of mailings to any owners and lienholders of record
 Lien releases from any lienholder(s)
 6% Sales/Use tax
 Title fee
 Proof of ownership (bill of sale, invoices, etc.)

BEFORE you use any of the companies noted below you need to conduct YOUR DUE DILIGENCE.

The entities noted below aren't recommended, they are used to illustrate their existence.

Idaho Auto Title Services - Auto Title - Bonded Title - Surety Bonds - Tax Registration

Vehicle Ownership Title Bond - Idaho | SuretyBonds.com

Getting a Bonded Title | SuretyBonds.com

Back