Criminal Law I am a citizen... HE IS ABUSIVE... He's getting the greencard... What do I do?? HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desperate

Hello, I really need some advice. I am a US citizen and have been married since Feb. 2003 to an immigrant with an H1b visa. We applied for an adjustment of status right after we got married, which would entitle him to a greencard. We just got news today that we have an interview at the end of April, but I NEED HELP... He is abusive and was arrested exactly one year ago for domestic violence. The case is still pending, but apparently the final court date will be 3 days before the interview date. The lawyer says that they may not dismiss the charges. They are supposedly going to charge him with either assault or negligent assault. I CANNOT LET THIS MAN GET A GREENCARD THROUGH ME... He admitted today (although it was during a fight) that he is using me for a greencard, and he has threatened me if I don't go to the interview. WHAT SHOULD I DO?? If he is charged with assault or negligent assault, will that cause problems anyway with him being granted a greencard? I would think that would show that he does not have "good moral character" as required by law. I guess what I want here is to DELAY him getting a greencard for as long as possible to see if he really wants to be married or if he's just trying to use me for sure. If a charge of assault or negligent assault will automatically delay his greencard process, then I can sit back and know that the situation will take care of itself. However, if those charges would not prevent him from getting a greencard, what can I do to slow down the process? If I go to the interview, what can I say to indirectly give the impression that I am being forced into the situation?? PLEASE HELP... SOMEONE OUT THERE PLEASE PLEASE give me some advice! I would be eternally grateful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you left him? Regardless of any legal issues, you should leave immediately for your safety. I have seen too many cases of women being "unable to leave" for fear of retaliation. It only gets worse if you stay. Leave now, get an order of protection and file for divorce or at least legally separate. DO NOT LET HIM DO THIS TO YOU ANY LONGER!

If you do go to the interview you should tell them the truth. From what I hear you are telling me, he seemed all sweet and loving until after you got married. Then he started abusing you and admitted that he was only using you for a green card. You were scared of him of retaliatory abuse, etc. You may want to have a friend accompany you if you can. Do you have an order of protection?

Desperate said:
Hello, I really need some advice. I am a US citizen and have been married since Feb. 2003 to an immigrant with an H1b visa. We applied for an adjustment of status right after we got married, which would entitle him to a greencard. We just got news today that we have an interview at the end of April, but I NEED HELP... He is abusive and was arrested exactly one year ago for domestic violence. The case is still pending, but apparently the final court date will be 3 days before the interview date. The lawyer says that they may not dismiss the charges. They are supposedly going to charge him with either assault or negligent assault. I CANNOT LET THIS MAN GET A GREENCARD THROUGH ME... He admitted today (although it was during a fight) that he is using me for a greencard, and he has threatened me if I don't go to the interview. WHAT SHOULD I DO?? If he is charged with assault or negligent assault, will that cause problems anyway with him being granted a greencard? I would think that would show that he does not have "good moral character" as required by law. I guess what I want here is to DELAY him getting a greencard for as long as possible to see if he really wants to be married or if he's just trying to use me for sure. If a charge of assault or negligent assault will automatically delay his greencard process, then I can sit back and know that the situation will take care of itself. However, if those charges would not prevent him from getting a greencard, what can I do to slow down the process? If I go to the interview, what can I say to indirectly give the impression that I am being forced into the situation?? PLEASE HELP... SOMEONE OUT THERE PLEASE PLEASE give me some advice! I would be eternally grateful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back