Husband's beneficiary and bank account

Status
Not open for further replies.

someoneswife

My husband has his sister listed as beneficiary on his life insurance and she is an authorized signer on his bank account. This is how he had it set up before we got married --almost three years ago. If something were to happen to him, what rights do I have in these areas? I don't care about being a signer on his account, but I do think about the future and would like to be the one responsible for him. He doesn't see this as important and thinks I'm a bully to try to get him to make these changes.

Q: My husband has his sister listed as beneficiary on his life insurance and she is an authorized signer on his bank account. This is how he had it set up before we got married --almost three years ago. If something were to happen to him, what rights do I have in these areas?

A: None.

I dont blame you for being upset. ask him how he expects you to support yourself after you pass? After all it is going to be you that is stuck with the marial debt and expenses, and paying for his funeral. Not his sister.

It's normal for spouses to be at least a 50% benificiary (if not all) on life insurance. If he refuses to put you on at all, I would be mad too and would probably divorce him.

Since you are married and you should be the most important person in his life, I dont know why it is such a big deal to list you on primary, he can still name his sister as secondary and give her part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back