1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Husband won't leave the rental house which us in my name, not his. Roomate

Discussion in 'Living in, Use of the Premises' started by missadie4, Apr 23, 2015.

1. missadie4

missadie4 Law Topic Starter New Member

I rent a house through my cousin in Pennsylvania. The lease is in mine and my daughter's name only. He is not on it. My soon to be ex common law husband is living with me and refuses to leave. What do I have to do to have him permanently removed from the property?

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

You have to evict him, unless you offer him a hundred, or two hundred bucks to leave/
    If he accepts your kind offer of cash to leave, get it in writing and signed. Don't give him the money until you have the keys, his signed agreement to leave for money, and he's off your property standing on the road or sidewalk.

If he won't leave for cash, you have to evict him using your county court system.

You could also have your cousin, the property owner evict him.
    That way might be a tad easier and faster.

3. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

Agree... And just to add, it really doesn't matter the least bit that his name is not on the lease.

4. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Agreed, and his common law status as husband, or uncommon law status, or his real law status, doesn't matter.
    Once you allow anyone to reside in your home, if they choose NOT to leave voluntarily, you need a judge to order them gone, and couple sheriff's deputies to oversee their departure.