husband signs apt lease as a guarantor without telling me

CALGIRL

Jurisdiction
Texas
I am currently married but in process of separating. My husband signed as a guarantor for his daughter apartment lease. He NEVER asked me or told me about this. If she defaults can landlord come after me for payment of course I found agreement and he did not put my name on the lease. We live in TX a community property state.

I am currently married but in process of separating. My husband signed as a guarantor for his daughter apartment lease. He NEVER asked me or told me about this. If she defaults can landlord come after me for payment of course I found agreement and he did not put my name on the lease. We live in TX a community property state.

Texas has no legal separation law.
You're married until you divorce.
In the instance you mention, NO, legally you aren't responsible if the person were to default.

You are probably in the clear.

However, I suggest you file for divorce ASAP as the petition will have an injunction against doing stuff like that.

I also suggest you start separating your finances. Get new credit cards and bank accounts in your own name with banks that are not the same banks that you have now. I caution you to do that because bank's have a right of "set off" where they can take money from one account to pay another account.

Once you have new credit cards in your name, cancel the old ones so no further charges can be made that you could end up being responsible for.

You are probably in the clear.

However, I suggest you file for divorce ASAP as the petition will have an injunction against doing stuff like that.

I also suggest you start separating your finances. Get new credit cards and bank accounts in your own name with banks that are not the same banks that you have now. I caution you to do that because bank's have a right of "set off" where they can take money from one account to pay another account.

Once you have new credit cards in your name, cancel the old ones so no further charges can be made that you could end up being responsible for.
Thanks

Thanks you. Yes I already did that. But he has locked me out of the retirement account and he opened up new checking account with his check going into that account so I am limited as to money. I am disabled and collect SSDI But we have house equity and retirement money in both our names so fortunate about that.

Let's say judge makes him move out and pay house payment, spousal support ( which is mandatory in TX for disabled spouse.. been married 15 years ) and his car payment and utilities will that 1200 apt lease be used against him in debt to ratio when he tries to lease a rental
For himself ?

Thanks you. Yes I already did that. But he has locked me out of the retirement account and he opened up new checking account with his check going into that account so I am limited as to money. I am disabled and collect SSDI But we have house equity and retirement money in both our names so fortunate about that.

Let's say judge makes him move out and pay house payment, spousal support ( which is mandatory in TX for disabled spouse.. been married 15 years ) and his car payment and utilities will that 1200 apt lease be used against him in debt to ratio when he tries to lease a rental
For himself ?

You need to hire a lawyer.
Your issue can't be remediated on the internet.
In Texas a divorce lawyer can petition the court to establish emergency support, or at least explain why you don't get it, and begin sorting out the divorce, property, and finances.

The lawyer can get her fees from the marital estate, hopefully from his assets.
Talk to a couple lawyers, see if that applies in your case.

Back