Property Invasion, Damages, Trespass Husband kicked a car

Hissy Kitty

Jurisdiction
Maryland
Hi,

We had a vehicle park in front of our driveway. My husband got pissed off because this is actually the second time it happened. He went to the car to try and set off the car alarm. He kept putting his foot on the car to push it and set off the car alarm. It caused the fender to buckle. Then he tried again with his hip towards the back of the car and it caused another fender to buckle. Damage is pretty light and repairable. Rear fender most likely can be popped back into shape. Eventually the guy came and got the car and he left. When he was leaving my husband went out and shouted at him a little bit. No threats, just questioning the guy being stupid.

Well, he came back later in the evening and I talked to him about the car. I didn't claim any knowledge about what happened. He said that the dents weren't there, but I pointed out that he also didn't realize that he parked in front of the driveway (driveway is really obvious). Said he was going to call the cops. Ultimately, I am worried that someone (or a camera saw). Any advice?

Hi,

We had a vehicle park in front of our driveway. My husband got pissed off because this is actually the second time it happened. He went to the car to try and set off the car alarm. He kept putting his foot on the car to push it and set off the car alarm. It caused the fender to buckle. Then he tried again with his hip towards the back of the car and it caused another fender to buckle. Damage is pretty light and repairable. Rear fender most likely can be popped back into shape. Eventually the guy came and got the car and he left. When he was leaving my husband went out and shouted at him a little bit. No threats, just questioning the guy being stupid.

Well, he came back later in the evening and I talked to him about the car. I didn't claim any knowledge about what happened. He said that the dents weren't there, but I pointed out that he also didn't realize that he parked in front of the driveway (driveway is really obvious). Said he was going to call the cops. Ultimately, I am worried that someone (or a camera saw). Any advice?
Yes, report it to your insurance company. Next time call the police when someone parks in front of your driveway.

Just a follow up:

We can afford to pay the damages so I don't really feel the need to report it to insurance. I'm more concerned about any legal ramifications outside of that. Is it just as simple as paying for the damage and that's it?

Just a follow up:

We can afford to pay the damages so I don't really feel the need to report it to insurance. I'm more concerned about any legal ramifications outside of that. Is it just as simple as paying for the damage and that's it?
Your insurance company will pay the damages. It's possible that your husband could be charged with vandalism...but that would depend on the victim actually going to the police and filing a criminal complaint. IMO that's a likely possibility. Whether he can afford it or not, your husband is still legally responsible for the deliberate damage he caused to the victims car. Why didn't he just call the police to report the driveway was blocked or a tow company to move the car??

Just a follow up:

It's possible that your husband might be charged with a crime like malicious destruction of property (Maryland's version of a vandalism offense).

Well, he did, but they take a long time to get it done. Last time it took an hour just to get the ticketing agent to show up and then a few hours to get the city towing vehicle to show up. By the time the tow truck showed up, guy had left and the whole day was ruined. We did it again this time, but we needed to leave. Husband got frustrated is all. Not trying to justify it, and not really happy about it, but that is what happened.

These days of Covid, civil unrest, peaceful protests, PTSD, rampant drug abuse, rising alcohol consumption, casual weed usage, and frayed emotions; one is best served by calling 911 and allowing the paid, professional men and women that wear badges to do the difficult jobs taxpayers are smart to avoid.

Sure, the car owner might have been a mildly inebriated person, or could have been a crazed, murderous, maniac looking for her next kill.

I pray for the security and safety of your family, OP, that you can reason with your hubby to stop pretending he's Chuck Norris or the reincarnation of Bruce Lee, because things could have ended with gunfire and bloodshed.

Get some of these hard to remove parking warning stickers.

Amazon.com : you parked sticker

Stick on on the driver door window. No damage to the vehicle.

The concept might have worked 40-50 years ago.

These days, it could precipitate violence.

We all were taught certain things in Kindergarten.

Don't touch anything that doesn't belong to you, keep your hands to yourself, be respectful of others and their property, always use please and thank you, use your inside voice, don't vandalize property that you don't own, and never take the law into your own hands.

Self help remedies tend to have undesired outcomes.

If you have a problem, don't take the law into your hands,
call 9-1-1 and let law enforcement address the problem.

this is actually the second time it happened.

Same car or different cars?

Rear fender most likely can be popped back into shape.

Just out of curiosity, how many years experience do you have with auto body repair?

Any advice?

Please read the disclaimer at the bottom of the page with respect to "legal advice."

Beyond that, there's nothing to be done until and unless you hear further from the owner of the car, the owner's insurance or the police.

I don't really feel the need to report it to insurance. I'm more concerned about any legal ramifications outside of that. Is it just as simple as paying for the damage and that's it?

While other things are, of course, possible, paying for the damage is the only likely consequence (unless the owner of the car is a gang banger or something like that).

You might check on the possibility of contacting a private tow. It may not be necessary to contact police at all.
This option would need to be carefully researched. This is not a tow from private property - the OP may not have the authority to have the vehicle towed from a public street.

Many local jurisdictions have authorized tow companies to take action in certain situations. The tow company would know whether or not it could help. It is more about the pre authorization given to the tow company than the property owner giving authorization.

Hi,

Your husband needs anger management.

Report it to your insurance.

Back