husband bills

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJASHLEY

I have been married over a year and a half now. When I married my husband, he happen to find out that he is in so much debt. If something was to happen to him, will I be responsible for paying his outstanding debts. In the State of Delaware, is there a law releasing the wife from paying husband outstanding bills? I know in the State of New Jersey, you can place an add in the paper stating that I, blankkkkk...will not be responsible for paying blankkkk..... bills, then I would put my name. Please advise.
Thank you.:confused:

I'm not sure I understand the situation. If your husband racked up debt before you were married, you would not be personally responsible for any of the debt unless you signed documents agreeing to assume the debt. Simply marrying a person does not make you responsible for their debt. Nor would you probably be responsible for debts your husband incurs on his own. In certain instances, however, if the debt is secured, e.g. a car, then there may be a right to possess some of the items that you may have in the event your husband defaults on these loans. It's up to you whether you want to pay for them to keep the items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back