how would I go about forcing a sale of a house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlcoote

Hi. I am married with 2 children.

When I was single and 21 years old I co signed a mortgage so my mum could buy a house. She said it was only for a couple of years until she could pay enough off so she could afford the mortgage on her own.

6 years later she has paid nothing off the mortgage. She has had interest only and has no intentions of paying any mortgage off.

We have spoken about selling the house and she is refusing to do so whilst my younger brother (16) is living at home.

I would like to buy a house with my husband bit we are unable to get a decent mortgage on just his wage and we would need to prove we can afford both mortgages which we obviously can't.

So I need to force her to sell. Do you know how I would go about this?

Any advice is appreciated.

We are going to speak to a mortgage advisor on the 12th December. Hoping they will give her a new mortgage and I can come off. But if they can't I will need to force her to sell.

You can go to court and request the judge force a sale, partition the home.

Well, that's how we do it in the USA.

In the UK, you might wish to discuss the specifics with a solicitor.

I can answer this accurately ;)

If the lender cannot or will not go along with refinancing, you're stuck - at least for a couple of years. While you can file a partition suit, the fact that there's a minor child living there changes things considerably; it's not uncommon for the court to basically tell you to wait it out.

What's even worse is that there's an excellent chance that even if Mum refinances your credit has already taken such a "ding" that you're going to struggle to convince a lender to loan you anything without there being a huge deposit and an incredibly high interest rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back