Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft How to remove name from Retail Theft Database after 2 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj31488

It will be two years in August since I was fired from my retail job for retail theft. That day I was asked to go into the office to talk to the loss prevention guy. I was accused of taking merchandise and cash. I start to panic so I signed a promissory note, civil demand notice and wrote a confession. In the end I had to pay the full amount of $1389.46 or they would press charges.

I was never taken to court and the police was not involve (meaning no finger prints, but had my social security number because of employee information). Later on i found out I was added to the National Retail Theft Database because I applied for another retail job and they send me a copy of the background report. I send a letter to the National Retail Theft Company requesting for my name to be removed from the database. They never send me a reply back. I recently requested for a background report from HireRight. Will my name still be there or do I need to request the report from the National Retail Theft Database Company?

I am a recent graduate with a Bachelor's in Graphic Design. It is hard to find a job in design, so I decided to apply for receptionist/secretary positions. Most of the places that I applied to asked me for a credit report (which I am fine with since my score is good) What i am worried about is the background check. Can they have access to the national retail theft database?

If my name still appears on the database, how can I remove it? That is the only thing haunting me because I do not have a criminal record.

Can I go to court and have them expunge it or by going to court can the retail store press charges? Will it be easier to contact the Loss Prevention person from the retail store and ask them nicely to remove my name from the database?

If you never had a court date there is notihng to expunge. Far as retail theft database goes if your name was inputted only subscribers can view this

Should I even try to contact the manager or loss prevention person so they can remove me from the database or should I not worry about it? I am afraid that I will not get a job even if it is not retail.

Can the retail store still press charges against me even though they never did before?

If I do contact the manager or the loss prevention person about deleting my name, can they change their mind and press charges?

Can they refuse to not delete my name from the database, even though I paid the full amount already?

Do all retail stores use the same database or do they use different?

Because one of the employers that I applied for a receptionist position asked for a credit card report. Can that be consider a background check? Can they view the retail theft database even though they are not retail stores?

Can the retail store still press charges against me even though they never did before?
They have until the statute of limitations runs out which in most states for petty theft is one year

If I do contact the manager or the loss prevention person about deleting my name, can they change their mind and press charges?
Can they? Sure but they gain nothing

Can they refuse to not delete my name from the database, even though I paid the full amount already?
Yes an din fact I doubt they will. The names usually drop off after 7 years

Do all retail stores use the same database or do they use different?
No only subscribers use this database

Because one of the employers that I applied for a receptionist position asked for a credit card report. Can that be consider a background check? Can they view the retail theft database even though they are not retail stores?
Only subscribers to database may view it. Its unlikely a non retailer would subscribe. A credit report will not show contents of database

What do you suggest I do? I want my name removed from the database. I already pay the restitutions back along with fees. Its been almost two years since this happened, do you think that maybe the retail store deleted it already? Can that happened?

I really do regret this. I know that my poor decision making and lack of judgment are all to blame. I have learn from my mistakes and I believe every person has the right to a second chance. I am not going into retail but I am afraid that beacause of this, it will hurt my chances of getting a job at any other position.

1st Do you know for a fact that this store belong to this database?
2nd The store will not remove your name from database it defeats purpose of belonging to said database
3rd You do not know if this will impact any potential job since the potential employer must be a subscriber to view the contents of database

Will it show that my name is in the database on a background check requested from non-retail employers? I doubt they are subscribers to the reatil theft database, so they wouldn't be able to see my name on it.

Is the database consider a public record or criminal record?

No the database and a criminal background check are unrelated. the "only" way someone can see your name on the aforementioend database is if they are subscriber or someone tells them

no,I don't know if the retail store is a subscriber to the database. But i do know my name appears on the database because of a background report copy I received from a retail store I applied to right after being fired

no,I don't know if the retail store is a subscriber to the database. But i do know my name appears on the database because of a background report copy I received from a retail store I applied to right after being fired

Ok background showed up the theft but under what? It showed your name is in retail theft database or it shows on criminal background check? They are not the same. Can you explain to us what it showed?

My name appeared on the national retail theft database on a report issued by Hollywood Video a month after I got fired from Michaels for retail theft. It does not appear on a criminal background report because the store never pressed charges against me ( no court or police involve).

I was not aware that Michaels was a subscriber to the database, but I guess it is since my name appears of the retail theft database.

I just want to make sure that other possible employers that are not retail will not see my name on the retail theft database if they ask for a background check ( criminal record or credit report).

From what I understand is that the retail theft database is a private (not public like criminal records) database created by a group of retailers and that any retail store that is a subscriber can see the retail theft database. Am I right or wrong?

You are correct however anyone can subscribe. It sunlikely a nonretailer would though. Keep in mind that if your former employer(s) are called they can legally tell potential employers why you were fired

They would not contact them if I don't list them on the employment history on the application? Is there a way they can find out I worked at Michaels without me saying so?

I had school work programs and internships but they where unpaid amd freelancing jobs. Can they be listed on my background report?

The retail store cannot press charges on me after two years of me being fired for retail theft, right?

lets say that I list the three most recent. After Michaels, I work for this magazine as a internship, for my school photo department, and a screen printshop. Jobs that relate to what I study for even though they were all unpaid.

Michaels was a retail job that does not relate to the jobs that I am applying too. In most places that I have applied, I send a resume with those jobs listed not a job application.

Can employers find out where I have worked before without me saying so? If they can, does it list why I was fire?

As I told you this is out of our area. However I personally do not feel that misleading or lieing will benefit you. Its not difficult to research someones work history

If I do list them, I still dont want them to contact them. Wouldn't that be suspicious? how can they search my work history? Wouldn't the unpaid internships be listed on the work history even though they never asked for my social or paid me?

Do all employers search for the employment history of potential employees?

is the work history the same as a backgorund report (criminal or credit or any kind of backgorund report?

If they find out what happend at michaels can they still hire me even though it is not a criminal record and explain the side of my story. the only reason why I aggreed to pay back was because I was scared and panic. and because I had taken couple of candies but never the amount I paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back