Starting a Business How to legally form internship partnerships with other companies?

K

KeepCoding

Jurisdiction
California
Hello,

I work for a coding education company based in both Spain and in San Jose, California. We would like to inquire some information about how would we legally go about creating internship partnerships with other companies in order to provide internship opportunities for our students? The founders of our company have recently set up our second base in the United States. We are originally a Spanish company.

Hello,

I work for a coding education company based in both Spain and in San Jose, California. We would like to inquire some information about how would we legally go about creating internship partnerships with other companies in order to provide internship opportunities for our students? The founders of our company have recently set up our second base in the United States. We are originally a Spanish company.

You need a lawyer you HIRE, not a FREE discussion site.
You're posting from Spain.
You require a lawyer in your HQ country.
Hire a lawyer in Spain (who might also require a CA - US based attorney to assist), or else you'll regret taking FREE advice from unknown parties.

You need to research the FLSA internship rules and know them well and provide the possible employers with the documentation that is required to either make them unpaid interns ...as a matter of fact one of the criteria is "The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded;"... or realize that employer will have to pay them at least minimum wage if they don't meet the standards of the unpaid intern laws -- and that can be a drawback for them to be out money to pay your students: U.S. Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Fact Sheet

Generally employers will do this when they are looking for a pipeline of new employees and are having a hard time finding already skilled workers that fit their company/culture.

Then you have to find employers that want the set of skills you are educating your students with. No one on this board is going to be able to tell you who those are. Your career/placement office should have a very good idea of what positions the students would get after graduation. I'd start there.

I do agree though that you might need legal help to setup the actual program/relationships. They may want some guarantee that if they pay students to intern, that they will later benefit from it in other ways.

This is not a something easy task to do. You need to hire a professional business lawyer in your locality for a smooth process. No one can exactly say the correct things for your queries except lawyers.

You have commented on a thread that's almost two months old (necro-posting) and all you did was make a comment that was just like the other comments and served no useful purpose.

You are welcome to participate here if you have anything original to say with regard to current threads. Please, no more necro-posting. Thanks.

Back