how to get the court to lift a witness protectionorder

cathe mcneill

Jurisdiction
Washington
My boyfriend and I are being pressured to testify against one another so the court put a witness protection order on us. How can it be lifted? We won't testify against each other.

My boyfriend and I are being pressured to testify against one another so the court put a witness protection order on us. How can it be lifted? We won't testify against each other.

That restraining order won't be lifted.
I suggest you consult with YOUR attorney BEFORE you refuse to testify TRUTHFULLY, or at all.
The court has no interest in forcing you to do anything.
The pressure is coming from the district attorney.
I suggest you request a court appointed attorney to protect your interests.
Any refusal to testify TRUTHFULLY can land you in more hot water.

You can refuse to testify against YOURSELF at any time during the hearing by simply responding, "I invoke my right under the Fifth Amendment not to answer, on the grounds I may incriminate myself."

You must continue to assert the constitutional protection afforded to you under the fifth amendment by answering any probative question relative to the hearing with the same response, "On counsel's advice, I invoke my right under the Fifth Amendment not to answer, on the grounds I may incriminate myself."

You are okay in responding to your name, address, occupation, and age. If you KNOW the other party, an affirmative response is okay. Be careful in answering any questions, or invoking "fifth amendment privilege" without having YOUR attorney present.

Last thing, forget about seeing the other party unless you want to risk ending up in prison.

This will be useful reading for you:

Business Law Today: Taking the 5th: How to pierce the testamonial shield

5th Amendment Update: Why silence is no longer golden | Second Call Defense

Your Fifth Amendment Privilege Against Self-Incrimination | Nolo.com

Back