How to get rid of the HOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliasd

My HOA actually is there to do nothing. We are paying dues beacuse we have too. I heard from another collegeue of mine that she does not pay HOA dues and she was not required by law to join. Is there a way that you can get out of the HOA?

Thanks!

I, too, am looking to either do away with the HOA altogether, change to a different one, or put the homeowners in the driver's seat. Our subdivision is around 90 houses. I walked around the neighborhood and spoke with about 1/3 of the occupants (the rest were not home) of those that I spoke to it was almost unanimous for some kind of change. Reviewing the documents I had on hand I could not find anything that stated how/when the home owners could take over although it is my understanding that the subdivision had to be fully built and sold (which has happened this year). I am prepared to consult with an attorney for guidance to make sure we do this the right way. Any recommendations, warnings, referrals, etc. are greatly appreciated.

I, too, am looking to either do away with the HOA altogether, change to a different one, or put the homeowners in the driver's seat. Our subdivision is around 90 houses. I walked around the neighborhood and spoke with about 1/3 of the occupants (the rest were not home) of those that I spoke to it was almost unanimous for some kind of change. Reviewing the documents I had on hand I could not find anything that stated how/when the home owners could take over although it is my understanding that the subdivision had to be fully built and sold (which has happened this year). I am prepared to consult with an attorney for guidance to make sure we do this the right way. Any recommendations, warnings, referrals, etc. are greatly appreciated.

You are going about it correctly.
You need to get a majority of owners together.
Why?
It will require a great number (at least 50%, maybe 67%, maybe 75%) to vote to make changes.
The best way to start that process is familiarize yourself with the charter.
Then learn HOW to change that charter by using the existing rules to do so.
After you have schooled yourself and others, speak with an attorney.
Take it slow, as it is not easy, but it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back