How to evict a lodger/roommate

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaurn

For several years, with my landlord's permission, I have rented a spare bedroom in my duplex in order to defray my own expenses. Until now I've had no problems, when my renters have moved on it has been amicably and often lasted in enduring friendships.

This time around I feel I've made a bad mistake. First, I became complacent and made a verbal agreement instead of a written one with a man who I feel was not entirely truthful with me concerning the extent of his physical disabilities. Part of the agreement was that he'd assist in the ongoing and general maintenance of the outside of the duplex, we'd take turns rolling out the garbage bin for pick-up, etc. Now he informs me these are things he's unable to do because of his disability. He suggests I hire someone, he'll share costs with me. Something I can't afford.

He moved in about a month ago and at that time, with my permission, he had additional services added to my cable to the tune of about $30 a month. The bill is due now and he tells me I'll have to pay it, he'll reimburse his portion on the 3rd when he receives his disability check. The day he moved in his movers broke my bookcase which he said he'd have repaired or replaced which he hasn't done although I've reminded him several times.

All these are small and petty things but what it comes down to is this - I simply do not like the man, I don't enjoy sharing my home of 14 years with him. He has a state-paid housekeeper who comes in twice a week and when she does my use of things like the washer and dryer, for which I paid, have to wait. Also, she uses cleaning supplies which I bought as well as my vacuum cleaner. I've no problem with this since the bathroom and kitchen, which we share, get cleaned. However, his promise to replenish supplies as they run out has also gone unfulfilled.

A few days ago I finally approached him and asked if he'd find another place to live. He told me I'd have to go through an official evicition process and, because he's disabled, it would have to be a 60 day one. I've read all the Calif. civil code regarding eviction and to the best of my knowledge, except for govt assisted housing, the law states 30 days.

Could someone please verify this for me? I am truly at my wit's end and this morning things nearly escalated to violence. My fault, I became angry and screamed at him (I truly despise him) and when I did he slammed his door on me. His housekeeper witnessed this. He also told me I'm nuts which, at that time, I probably was. I'm sure it was his right to shut his door but he nearly hit my 5 pound dog in the process.

His rent includes all utilities as well as shared use of common areas. My name is on everything including the month to month rental agreement with my landlord. He pays his month every thirty days. At least I hope he does. He took the room a week before the first of May for which he paid at a pro-rated rate as well as a $80 security deposit. He then paid May's rent in full on May 3rd when he received his disability check.

I don't want this to have to go to court and I certainly don't want to involve the law but I am scared. Usually I'm in good control of my temper but the guy makes me furious. Basically I feel it's a severe personality conflict with us. Does the law require me to continue living with someone I despise? Because of his disability (he claims he injured his back years ago but he gets around better than me) can he make a discrimination issue out of this?

So many questions. Thanks to anyone who might be able to shed some light on this or point me in the direction of assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back