how to deal with a Geico lowball offer auto accident

lawquestions111

Jurisdiction
Ohio
There was another driver who rear ended me in a parking lot while my car was parked in the parking lot. I was standing to the side. They smashed in the bumper and damaged the back hatch. Geico offered me a $200 check. (I didn't cash the check) The vehicle is a 2017. I went to get estimates from a few shops. The shops said it was about $1,800. This has been going on for about 5 weeks now the back and forth. (I was thinking about taking the driver to small claims court.) Any thoughts or suggestions?

They get a lawyer for small claims, why not send them a few quotes from a couple of body shops and have them fix it?

I apologize. I didn't include this part. we already did send geico the quotes. Basically Geico answers back with we are waiting to hear from your from the body shop. And when we spoke to the body shop they say we are waiting to hear back from geico.

We also asked for the geicos rep manager and have left several messages with no return calls.

We then contacted our statefarm rep agent and they said we have to contact geico with a quote. Which we already did. We also sent our statefarm rep a copy of the quote too.

(I think there is something go on with the rep that we have at geico.)

GEICO is not your insurance company and owes you nothing until and unless a court of law says so and says how much. Meantime GEIGO is free to play games with you until you decide to sue the driver that hit you.

Do you have collision coverage?

If you have collision coverage, call the State Farm claims department (not your agent, your agent doesn't want claims on his record) and have the car repaired under your collision coverage.

That's what you pay premiums for.

Yes, you'll have a deductible, but State Farm will refund it when it gets reimbursed by GEICO. No, your insurance rates won't go up just because of the claim.

I am not sure why most insurance companies play games and do what adjuster jack stated. I think it depends on the adjuster you have and what incentives they have for adjusters no settling claims and low balling claimants.

I am not sure why most insurance companies play games and do what adjuster jack stated. I think it depends on the adjuster you have and what incentives they have for adjusters no settling claims and low balling claimants.
In this case, perhaps the adjuster who reviewed the damage genuinely believes that the damage to the car is not so severe.

GEICO is not your insurance company and owes you nothing until and unless a court of law says so and says how much. Meantime GEIGO is free to play games with you until you decide to sue the driver that hit you.

Do you have collision coverage?

If you have collision coverage, call the State Farm claims department (not your agent, your agent doesn't want claims on his record) and have the car repaired under your collision coverage.

That's what you pay premiums for.

Yes, you'll have a deductible, but State Farm will refund it when it gets reimbursed by GEICO. No, your insurance rates won't go up just because of the claim.

Thank you. We did call our local insurance company and they sent everything to geico and told use to keep talking to geico. That makes sense. Yes we have collision coverage on our car, full coverage. Also the car is owned outright no bank loan.

Thank you calling the main statefarm line I think maybe the next thing we do.

In this case, perhaps the adjuster who reviewed the damage genuinely believes that the damage to the car is not so severe.

That could be. However I feel like 70% of the time that insurance companies do take advantage of people that do not know the law or how some things work. I have worked in a body shop (labor side) and I know for a fact that we can't even get a outer bumper for what geico has offered.

Back