how to contest a property lien

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelebeth

My husband was a fully benefited employee at a hospital - and was injured on the job. He received medical attention at the hospital that he was employed. They apparently incorrectly processed the billing, as his benefits covered the medical care he received; however he received a bill for the medical services in full. He repeatedly tried to clear it up with the hospital HR department - and they confirmed that the billing was incorrect and he was not responsible for the payment and they would take care of the error. Each time he was sent another request for payment he would contact the hr dept and was told he didn't have to pay and it would be taken care of. Apparently they didn't clear up the error, and the matter went to a collection agency for non-payment. My husband was extremely frustrated, and when he tried to explain the situation to the collection agency, their extremely rude attitude, made him angry so he refused to deal with them. The matter went before a judge - and my husband was so angry at the situation and the fact that none of this was his fault - he neglected to appear in court (which he understands now was a dumb thing to do!) A judgment was issued in the collection agency's favor. My husband has refused to communicate with the collection agency, and now we are refinancing our house and have learned there is a lien on our home.

Is there ANY way to have this matter revisited by the courts considering that this was an incorrect "debt" in the first place and have the lien removed? Or are we stuck becuase court ruled against us, and there is no going back? He no longer works for this employer.

Thanks for any advice or information you can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back