1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

how to check the current status of debt

Discussion in 'Other Debt, Collection, Garnishment' started by sosa, Jul 3, 2019.

1. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

I'm at a loss as to how you reached that conclusion from what I wrote. I didn't even go so far as to "suggest[] [that] you consult with a bankruptcy attorney" (quoting "PayrollHRGuy"). What I wrote was that you "you might consider consulting with a bankruptcy attorney." Heck...for all I know, $100k might be something for which you could easily scratch off a check today, which, if true, would make consulting with a BK attorney pointless.

Here are your basic options (not all of which are mutually exclusive):

1. Do nothing and see what happens.
    2. Run and hide.
    3. Hire a lawyer to review the situation and advise you.
    4. Pay the judgment in full.
    5. Try to negotiate a reduced lump-sum settlement or a payment plan.
    6. File bankruptcy.

sosa likes this.
  2. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

And this has the added benefit of being something that the OP is well practiced in.

3. sosa

sosa Law Topic Starter New Member

I have no house or any assets yet. Nevertheless, It is odd that they have not made any attempts to seize my paychecks or tried to contact me personally. I have been working and getting paid for about 6 months now, and they could have gathered from my credit report that I am paying my rents for over a year now...

4. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

The USA is a very nice country.

That said, there are at least 48 other equally nice countries too!