1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

How to amend lawsuit

Discussion in 'Civil Court, Procedure & Litigation' started by Elizabeth24, Dec 9, 2019.

  1. Elizabeth24

    Elizabeth24 Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    I filed a suit against attorney in small claims. He moved it to district court. I received a statement from attorney stating his representation of my case has concluded and my total cost was $6000, and I have a remaining balance of $1700. I paid attorney $8800. I contacted attorney by phone, text and certified letter. He sent me another statement stating he added another $1800 for something he missed and I now owe him $3500. This lawyer has been a nightmare. During my criminal case he neglected to do a lot. I was charged and contacted attorney. He told me to turn myself in first thing in the morning, and he’d be there. He called me the next day and said he couldn’t make it. He advised me to plea not guilty. It was an arraignment where you don’t plea. I also had gone to his office to meet. I asked about if there were any upcoming court dates. He stated that he didn’t see anything but should hear something within first or second week. Well I had missed a court date. Since the lawyer never filed a motion to appear he wasn’t receiving paperwork. So I did a day in jail in which he took fault for and was released on a free bond. Do I have punitive damages, and can I amend lawsuit amount before February 14th court date.
  2. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    I wouldn't say PUNITIVE, but you may have been damaged somehow.

    You can file a complaint with the agency that regulates attorneys, alleging the conduct you feel harmed you.

    Anyone may file a Request for Investigation against an attorney licensed by the State Bar of Michigan, or otherwise permitted by a court to practice in the state, by completing and signing the AGC’s Request for Investigation form or by sending in a signed letter.

    The form or letter must be signed and sufficiently describe the alleged misconduct (including approoximate time and place). The Request for Investigation may include copies of any relevant documents. Requests for Investigation are not accepted electronically or by facsimile at this time.

    A copy of the Request for Investigation form can be requested by calling the AGC at (313) 961-6585, or can be downloaded below. Requests for Investigation and any accompanying documents can be sent to:

    Michigan Attorney Grievance Commission
    535 Griswold, Suite 1700
    Detroit, MI 48226

    Please do not bind or staple your documents in order to facilitate scanning.

    The Grievance Administrator may also institute an investigation on his own based upon knowledge gained from other ways, such as news articles, court opinions, or information received in the course of a disciplinary investigation.

    This is where you start the process:

    How to File a Request for Investigation

    The complaint form:

    http://www.agcmi.org/investigation/docs/AGC RI Form.pdf

Share This Page