How does one fire a lawyer?

Gibson73

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
On monday Legal Aid had told me they had a lawyer for me for court in seven days and she (Heather) called me at 7:30pm on that monday evening.

Over the course of the following five days I was told that one (Heather), then another (Laurie) and then another (Lisa) different lawyer was going to represent me.

These "lawyers" failed to return calls, emails or answer their phone lines until the following friday during the last business hour, with Lisa.

At about the midde, on wednesday I started looking for help with other attorneys outside of that firm Legal Aid, but was told that they cannot even talk to me until I have fired the existing representation and have the paper that confirms this.

Some of my calls during that week towards the end were of me leaving messages explaining this and that I need to fire them, I got no reply.

Finally, on monday at the courthouse their attorney that "represented" (Lisa) me turned on me and was on the landlords side.

Could I had told her to take a hike? to go away, and say "you are fired"?

The way you fire a lawyer is you write a letter to the lawyer that says "Your fired. I no longer require your services." Then you hand it to the lawyer, keeping copies, one of which you give to your new lawyer to he can file his appearance as your lawyer.

What did you think the lawyer meant by:

have the paper that confirms this.

Never mind, that's a rhetorical question.

Finally, on monday at the courthouse their attorney that "represented" (Lisa) me turned on me and was on the landlords side.

Could I had told her to take a hike? to go away, and say "you are fired"?

Yes, you could have done that orally in open court and then asked for a continuance so you could hire replacement counsel.

How?

You know, sometimes the landlord is right and the tenant is wrong. If that's what happened she didn't "turn on you" she just explained some unpleasant facts of life.

However, if you want comment on your case with the landlord, explain the case.

Thank you adjusterjack, you also army judge if you read this over here.
This is something that has been going through my mind and I wanted to put out a simple and quick question as I am almost finished moving out of this hellhole I live(d) in.

I plan to put everything in one post, soon.. but I must find somewhere to live first. It is a post that I already have a lot typed in but have not hit the post button yet because I want to go through it thoroughly beforehand and add dates.

I have another quick question that I could not seem to find where to ask and I think I had better act quickly.
I have a situation where I asked the sheriffs to call me and instead they came to where I live which fired the landlord off into instant eviction mode - retaliation - MN statute 504B.205 prevents this but I am evicted anyway. I would like to obtain the recording of me on that 911 call before it is mandantorily deleted or expires.

Bits and peices of what happened are in the posts I have made here. The landlord had shut the powewr and water off to the house and took off. I had been fully paying the landlord. LL never made a single repair, removed garbage removal service.. lots.. I had never thought that I should know how to fire my attorney or how to go about appealing something when it was looking to be so easily dismissed, and even that attorney told me so, yet her reason why she flipped in reverse on me was "because the home owners son was with the landlord in court".

It makes no sense to me and makes no sense to other phone attorneys I have spoke with.

The problem with multiple threads on the same topic (this is your 4th) is that it's impossible to go back over all of them and try to make sense out of it, so I'm not going to.

What I get from this thread is that you were evicted and you are out.

You have my sympathy but armchair quarterbacking isn't likely to change that.

Back