How does a website with forums protect itself from a lawsuit???

Status
Not open for further replies.

nancyadams

Hi. Last February, I started a forums for people like myself with a disease that effects our ability to use our muscles. There are four forums, and I have three moderators. I run one.

I am concerned about liability. Namely, though all of my three leaders make it clear they are not doctors and what they say is only comment, I wonder what would happen if someone tried one of the alternative ways to treat this disease mentioned by a leader of the forum, and the person felt like they were damaged...and they tried to sue me.

I do have a disclaimer on the forums, making it clear that we are just patients, and that they need to always talk to their doctors, and that we don't take responsibility for their use of the information, and if they don't agree, to not post. Is that enough? Or is having a forum just too risky??

Should I make the website/forums an LLC?? How can I protect myself? Or is it impossible to avoid problems?

Also, what would a lawsuit entail if the moderators and I aren't wealthy, and couldn't pay much anyway??!!

Thank you for any insight. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back