How do you screen the right tenant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destiny19692006

I live in Alabama

We are fixing to have new renters, Tenants. We have had alot of trouble with Tenants, as they seem to always be the wrong ones... So any advice will be helpful on what I need to do, so I do not have a tenant that pays to begin with and then ends up costing me alot, and I mean alot of money to have them leave, evicted, to get them off the property. We rent the lots and they own their Mobile Homes. So, what should we be doing, as my father use to handle all of this, and has passed away.

I do appreaciate this site, it has been most helpful. :)

Do you do credit screens and criminal checks? Confirm employment and salary and (very important) check with previous landlords?

There are a number of good companies where you can do onsite screens of applicants. We use Clear Screening.

Gail

I have checked on Job verifacation, and Checked with Previous Landlord, but that doesn't always pan out, The last Tenant, she worked had a (Job), she had a letter from Previous Landlord, and then about 5 months into renting, she quit her job, moved her boyfriend in, who was a drug addict, and she quit paying rent, and it took 900.00 and several months to get her in court, and she was told to pay, and move, and well, basically she moved, but never paid, and I doubt the Lawyers collection team will ever collect.

So, with that said, that is why I need Great advice on what I should be doing... I can't keep paying the Lawyer 900.00 out of pocket when I don't have the money from the rent to keep doing this.
We are basically fixing to clean out over there, and start fresh, as we only have one good tenant, and she is usually late by 2 weeks every time.
Since my father has passed away, the tenants have run over my mother, and I am tired of seeing her go through this when it is her income.

Do you do credit screens and criminal checks? Confirm employment and salary and (very important) check with previous landlords?

There are a number of good companies where you can do onsite screens of applicants. We use Clear Screening.

Gail

I bookmarked this site, Thank You, I am sure it will be used by us. Can you tell me what they charge for a background report, as I couldn't find it in the Question section.

I have rental properties and as your mom and you are doing I tried to manage them myself. I too always found the wrong tenant - checked credit, previous rental history, employment history... been there done that. RECENTLY I found it much less expensive in the long run to hire a professional property management company. It is an additional monthly expense BUT WELL WORTH IT. Since I have been using a property management company - The only evictions that I have had to go through were with the tenants I found on my own. The tenants that have come through the property management company seem to pay their rent ON TIME. So far since I have hired them I receive ALL my rent checks on the 8th of the month -LIKE CLOCKWORK. Maybe it's something you might want to look into - I have not had to go to court (or pay $$$ out of my pocket) for an eviction since I've hired professionals to manage my property.

Clear Screening charges $14.95 for a credit report; the same for a criminal check.

The applicant pays us for these screens when the complete their application.

If they pass we refund this amount with their first months rent.

Gail

I have rental properties and as your mom and you are doing I tried to manage them myself. I too always found the wrong tenant - checked credit, previous rental history, employment history... been there done that. RECENTLY I found it much less expensive in the long run to hire a professional property management company. It is an additional monthly expense BUT WELL WORTH IT. Since I have been using a property management company - The only evictions that I have had to go through were with the tenants I found on my own. The tenants that have come through the property management company seem to pay their rent ON TIME. So far since I have hired them I receive ALL my rent checks on the 8th of the month -LIKE CLOCKWORK. Maybe it's something you might want to look into - I have not had to go to court (or pay $$$ out of my pocket) for an eviction since I've hired professionals to manage my property.

Sounds great, though the extra expense, depends on how much we are looking at. The lots only rent for $200.00 a month unless we go up on it and charge $250.00 which we have discussed, and we only have 6 lots available. So, is it worth it for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back