How do I get the car I pay for put into my name?

Sophie07

I got a new car last year and my credit isn't the best, so my fiance at the time put the car solely in his name to save money. I pay for the car every month however we have now broken up and the car is in his name and he is threatening to take the car even though I'm the one that pays for it. Can he take it? And what do I go about doing to get it put in my name?

The car legally belongs to him. The only way you can put it in your name is with 1.) his consent and 2)the finance company consent.
Since you do not have good credit, the finance company is not likely to agree, and it sounds like he will not either.
You may have to let him take the car and chalk this up to experience and consider the payments you made to be rent that you paid for the use of the car.

I got a new car last year and my credit isn't the best, so my fiance at the time put the car solely in his name to save money. I pay for the car every month however we have now broken up and the car is in his name and he is threatening to take the car even though I'm the one that pays for it. Can he take it? And what do I go about doing to get it put in my name?

First, the bad news, Sophie.
He doesn't need to take that he already owns.
You gave him a very nice gift in an attempt to save money.
Usually when people try that technique, it COSTS them money.

Okay, Sophie, now the GOOD news.
You are paying for the car.
So, all you need to do, is stop paying for HIS car.
The beauty of what you did, has escaped you and him.
He and the finance company own the car.
You've simply been renting it.
If he wants to keep the car, he must now PAY the notes.
Otherwise, you can tell him, give me $500 (or whatever you think is fair), sign the car over to you IMMEDIATELY, and you'll keep paying the note.
Its his choice, because you have nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Except he really can't just sign it over to her without the finance company approval. He can give her a bill of sale, but she can't go to the state and change the title and registration to her name, and he will have to carry the insurance as well.

Except he really can't just sign it over to her without the finance company approval. He can give her a bill of sale, but she can't go to the state and change the title and registration to her name, and he will have to carry the insurance as well.

He has to carry insurance today.
The car is registered and titled in his name, not hers, as I read her post.

As far as him signing himself off the title, I doubt that he will do that.
He can transfer title to her, but it won't be a clear title.
The title has a lien against it, as I understand the top post.
At any rate, it would simply be symbolic.
The title would be clouded with the lien, and he would remain responsible for the note.

I doubt that he will sign the title over to her anyway.
But, she has no continuing, nor has she ever had, any obligation to pay anything on his note.
I suspect she does so in order to drive HIS car.

The car is his not yours even though you have been making payments. If you can't get the car signed over to you, about all you can do is stop making any more payments.

Back