How do I get my roommate to move out?

Lucia Espinoza

Jurisdiction
Utah
I live in Pleasant Grove, Utah.
I live in an apartment with four people- my boyfriend, myself, Pearl and Karelle. It was just the four of us for about a month (we moved in on August 13, 2015) and Karelles boyfriend Max moved in without signing the lease. He found out that he can't live here because rent is too much and will stay for the month and will pay us back later- he still hasn't moved out.

Karelle has owes us money from the beginning because she didn't have enough, so we stepped in and she has yet to pay us all back. We have confronted her about it several times to pay us back the following paycheck and she turns her back towards us (literally) cross her arms and raise her head high, while we are talking to her. She said it multiple times that she doesn't like it here so we suggested she moved out and she began to get angry.

The hard part is, we just paid Octobers rent. All of us did including Karelle, but not Max. I know I can't evict her personally because she signed the lease and the office can't either because she paid rent for the month (Oct.), Max on the other hand hasn't paid.

I feel if she moves out she will never pay any of us back and neither will her boyfriend, Max.

I just want to know if there's a way that I can remove her immediately, or do I need to wait for November. AND how can I get them to pay us back.

Ps. We are looking for roommates at this very moment.

I live in an apartment with four people- my boyfriend, myself, Pearl and Karelle. It was just the four of us for about a month (we moved in on August 13, 2015) and Karelles boyfriend Max moved in without signing the lease. He found out that he can't live here because rent is too much and will stay for the month and will pay us back later- he still hasn't moved out.

Karelle has owes us money from the beginning because she didn't have enough, so we stepped in and she has yet to pay us all back. We have confronted her about it several times to pay us back the following paycheck and she turns her back towards us (literally) cross her arms and raise her head high, while we are talking to her. She said it multiple times that she doesn't like it here so we suggested she moved out and she began to get angry.

The hard part is, we just paid Octobers rent. All of us did including Karelle, but not Max. I know I can't evict her personally because she signed the lease and the office can't either because she paid rent for the month (Oct.), Max on the other hand hasn't paid.

I feel if she moves out she will never pay any of us back and neither will her boyfriend, Max.

I just want to know if there's a way that I can remove her immediately, or do I need to wait for November. AND how can I get them to pay us back.

***KARELLE AND MAX ARE ENGAGED***

Last edited by a moderator:

Talk to the landlord about removing (as in EVICTING Max, and maybe Karelle).
Karelle has no doubt BREACHED the terms of her lease by allowing someone to live in the apartment without being listed on the lease.
If your lease has such a provision, the landlord can bring the action agai9nst BOTH of the deadbeats.

The reality is that Karelle and Max are deadbeats, moochers, scammers, beggars; and you're better off without BOTH of them.
As you've seen already, neither of them are eager to pay for what they use.
That said, talk to the others, all of you PAYERS then visit the landlord, inform them of what Karelle has done, and ask the landlord to evict BOTH DEADBEATS.

Peace isn't free, and you'll pay more each month, but you'll be FREE of the drama.

Other than an eviction, there is NO legal way to get them GONE!!!

Talk to the landlord about removing (as in EVICTING Max, and maybe Karelle).
Karelle has no doubt BREACHED the terms of her lease by allowing someone to live in the apartment without being listed on the lease.
If your lease has such a provision, the landlord can bring the action agai9nst BOTH of the deadbeats.

The reality is that Karelle and Max are deadbeats, moochers, scammers, beggars; and you're better off without BOTH of them.
As you've seen already, neither of them are eager to pay for what they use.
That said, talk to the others, all of you PAYERS then visit the landlord, inform them of what Karelle has done, and ask the landlord to evict BOTH DEADBEATS.

Peace isn't free, and you'll pay more each month, but you'll be FREE of the drama.

Other than an eviction, there is NO legal way to get them GONE!!!

I feel like the others and I will also be in trouble because we allowed it, we had the plan that he can move in and later we can add him to the lease, but we never had the chance.

I feel like the others and I will also be in trouble because we allowed it, we had the plan that he can move in and later we can add him to the lease, but we never had the chance.

You didn't ALLOW him.
She ALLOWED him.
But, if you want to OWN it, go for it.
Good luck.

Ok, I used the "breach" line and she said she will be gone by next Sunday.

Thank you!

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
The longer you allow the deadbeat to stay, you'll find it might be very difficult to get him gone.
If he's leaving, tell her by NOON on Monday, or you'll go to the landlord and they BOTH will be evicted!!!

Back