How do I clear up negative report on credit report?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginarol

I recently received a copy of my credit report. Unfortunately there is a negative report on there. When I was married my ex and I had several joint accounts together. When we separated we paid all of our bills and closed all accounts. Or so I thought, there was one account that was not paid in full and has now gone into collection. Since my name was on the account (not as authorized user, but as a joint account holder) it shows up on my credit report. Since my ex-husbands name was first I never received a bill. My question is this do I pay the collection agency there 700.00 dollars (all of his charges) or so or do I just try to remove this from my credit report? Help.
Thanks
Gina

Hi gina - in the future, please don't triple post the same question, just respond to yourself in the same thread. Unfortunately you've got a problem as a joint account holder. You're just as responsible for the debt as he is. I'm not sure what could be worked out with the collections agency but you may want to dispute the charge on your credit report with regard to your lack of proper notification. I know that when you use Experian's reporting system it gives you choices you can use to dispute debts.

Dispute it for sure. A lot of collections agencies will drop your file if you make a lot of work for them.

Just make sure all your correspondence is in writing and that you send everything "return receipt requested." That way you'll have a legal record of correspondence. That often scares them away.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back